Your Official Cuffing Season Playbook

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PSU chapter.

Oh the weather outside is frightful, and you’re probably still sitting on your couch drinking a glass of wine while watching Elf. If this sounds like you, it’s for one of two reasons:

1. It’s your choice.

2. You’re unaware of the official timeline of “cuffing season.” Allow me to enlighten you:

Preseason

If you know anything about cuffing season, you’ll know that the first key is to be active during the preseason. That means right after summer is over and once the hooking up becomes old, it’s your prime time to start recruiting.

Regular Season

While it’s critical that you get in early, you’ll still have a grace period. I would say mid-September until late October is your time to feel things out. You have a few weeks to narrow down your final roster and see who you’re clicking with.

Final Cuts

Look, no one likes rejection. I hate it as much as you do. But cuffing season is a game, and with that means that people are going to get eliminated. By the start of November, you’ll have to make your final selection right before playoffs start.

Playoffs

Playoffs (or the holiday season) are the peak of your time together. Maybe you’re going to take him home to meet your weird aunt or invite him to come out with you and your friends for New Year’s Eve. Whatever the case may be, this will be the most serious time of your relationship, so be prepared.

Super Bowl

The championship game, or Valentine’s Day, is the final game. The time when you get to Instagram with your boo and get those amazing dinner rolls at Texas Roadhouse. But as we know, there can only be one winner in this game.

The Aftermath

After Valentine’s Day, it’s time to end it. It was a good run, but as the weather gets warmer, it’s time for you to be back on your worst behavior.

With this playbook, you’ll be as good as the Philadelphia Eagles on a Sunday afternoon. Good luck, collegiettes!

Brittany Krugel is a student at Penn State. She is majoring in broadcast journalism in the College of Communications. She is a member of the Phi Mu Sorority at Penn State. She one day hopes to work for CNN or ABC as a broadcast journalist. When she's not tweeting about mac& cheese and Hillary Clinton, she enjoys netflix binges, listening to Kanye West, and going to Penn State Football games.
Allie Maniglia served as the Campus Correspondent for Her Campus at Penn State from 2017-2018. She majored in public relations with minors in international studies and communication arts and sciences. If she's not busy writing away, you can find her planning her next adventure (probably back to the U.K.), feeding an unhealthy addiction to HGTV or watching dog videos on YouTube.