Style > Beauty

Your 5-Step Routine For A Foolproof At-Home Facial

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PSU chapter.

We all try to take care of our skin and strive for it to be healthy and glowing. Facials are one of the best ways to pamper yourself and take care of your skin at the same time. However, we’re in college and spa days aren’t cheap, so DIY it is. This is my personal go-to routine for when I want a cheap at-home alternative to an expensive facial. This is a bare bones skin care routine that just about anyone can follow!

Step 1: Cleanse your face of makeup, dirt and oils.

You can simply wash your face with a gentle facial soap for this step or use your favorite cleanser. 

Step 2: Steam

First, let’s straighten out the myth that steam and heat open up your pores – it doesn’t. Pores don’t open, close or change size at all in relation to this “cold water closes pores, hot water opens them up” myth. 

Now that we have that straightened out, I do still steam my face. Although steam and hot water can’t magically open your pores, it can help unclog the dirt and debris inside of them, making them look smaller in the process. There are several ways you can achieve a freshly steamed face. If you’re fancy and you have an actual face steamer, use it. If that sounds ridiculous to you, then just do what I do and boil some water and hold your face over the steam. If you do this, make sure to stay far enough away from the boiling water and the hot steam so you don’t burn yourself. If you want to go the extra mile, you can hold a towel over your head to trap the steam and keep it circulating around your face. 

Step 3: Exfoliate

This is one of the most important steps in the process because exfoliating helps get rid of dead skin cells in order for new ones to shine through – ultimately giving you a fresher looking face. I’ve found that two of the best ways to exfoliate is to use either an exfoliating tool like a clean brush or to use an exfoliating scrub that contains ingredients like sugar or salt that work to exfoliate your skin as you wash. Remember not to scrub your skin like you’re trying to get a stain out of your favorite sweater – this will only irritate your skin. It’s better to use light pressure in circular motions. Rinse with warm water and we’re on to the next.

Step 4: Mask time

The best part of any good facial is when it’s time for the mask. One of my favorite brands is Freeman Beauty, as their masks are extremely affordable and are available in a large variety for all different skin types – including clay masks for oily skin types and hydrating gel masks for dry skin types (not to mention they come in pretty big bottles that will last you a while.)

Step 5: Moisturize

The last step, and arguably the most important step in any good skincare routine, is to moisturize, moisturize, moisturize! Hydrated skin is happy skin!

Take this list as you will, collegiettes! You can follow it exactly, skip steps, add steps, switch steps around – it doesn’t matter. Do what works for you, your face and your skin. Good luck, and happy spa day!

Haley Deitz is a Senior at The Pennsylvania State University, pursuing an Advertising major with minors in Media Studies, Women’s Studies, and Digital Media Trends and Analytics. Haley is a contributing writer for Her Campus Penn State, whose dream job is still yet to be determined. Her hobbies include reading, writing, and being the best dog mom she can be.
Samantha Grillo graduated from Penn State University with a bachelor's degree in broadcast journalism. She loves creative writing, pop culture and Penn State, all of which led her to joining the Her Campus Penn State team at the beginning of her freshman year as a contributing writer. In her free time, Samantha enjoys reading, watching her favorite TV shows, and catching up on the latest movies.