Wellness > Mental Health

The Worst Pain I’ve Ever Felt, The Loss of a Pet

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PSU chapter.

The loss of a dog is undoubtedly the worst pain I have ever endured in my twenty-two years of life. Losing a pet is just as painful as losing a human, they are with us through the most important and exciting times of our lives. When I close my eyes I still see his smiling face and hear his little growls every time I stop petting him for even one second. 

It is hard to put into words how I feel. In the past day so many important people in my life have offered great comfort. It is events like this that make a person stronger. We know that they will always be with us, I know every time the sun shines and the bubbles go crazy in the hot tub, our golden boy will be right there with us. 

The past two days I have found myself constantly questioning why dogs only live so little when we live so long, but I think it would be so much harder on a dog losing their owner, they would never understand why their best friend didn’t come home. As we somberly drove home yesterday from the vet’s office, all choking back the eruption of tears, my brother said to us, “maybe dog’s only live for ten years because god knows it would be so much harder for us to lose them if we lived our entire lives with them.” Although it is just as hard after nine years, I think he’s right. Dog’s can only live so long because they spend their ENTIRE LIVES loving us. They spend their entire lives waiting by the door for us to come home, comforting us and licking up tears. Holding him one last time was the hardest thing I have ever done. Even though he was in so much pain, he still lifted his head to lick up my tears from my pain. We truly don’t deserve the unconditional love our dogs express. I’m taking this as a lesson, to start living my life like a dog. Have nothing but love in my heart for everyone in my life, have nothing but excitement when I see the important people in my life. Go through life with nothing but happiness. We love you so much Brady, and we miss you so much. I know you are in the giant bubbly hot tub that is doggie heaven, and I can’t wait to see you again. 

May 2010–January 2020 

Bailey McBride is a Senior at Penn State University pursuing a Broadcast Journalism degree with minors in Political Science and Digital Media Trends & Analytics. She is a sister of Delta Gamma. She enjoys making hyper-organizational lists and looking at future pups to adopt. Her dream job is to be Press Secretary of the White House.