This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PSU chapter.

Ah, sweatpants. We love ‘em. They’re perfect for a day spent lounging on the couch. Now, all you need is a fresh facemask and a Netflix binge of prison documentaries.

Life. is. Good.

You’re halfway through docu #3, when your friends text the GroupMe; they wanna go grab Chipotle and window shop. Sounds fun, but you wouldn’t dare wear your sweats outside, in public…

But, WHY???

Here’s the thing…We’re scared of looking like a Ziploc bag, per se.  

Newsflash! Sweatpants can actually be cute. Bet you didn’t see that coming.

Here’s how:

Try joggers.

Joggers have a tighter fit and stick to the trend of hugging your ankles, kind of like leggings. Boot-cut sweats tend to hide your body, whereas joggers highlight more of your features.

Sport your fave university

You could wear sweats that showcase cute PSU designs. Whether it’s the University’s name along the side, or the face of the Nittany Lion by the pocket, showing your school spirit is inevitably adorable. YOU ARE, CUTE!

Roll ‘em (not talking about your eyes)

If your sweats demonstrate a slimmer fit, you can try rolling the ends to give a more dynamic look. Just fold them so your ankles are slightly showing.  

Wear something other than a T-shirt

Balance is important. Something like a V-neck would be a good choice for when you’re wearing sweats. You don’t want to pair baggy with baggy, because that can create an allusion that isn’t necessarily complimentary to your body.

Accessorize

You can pair different items with your outfit. Wearing a casual necklace is an option; by this, I mean a necklace that says your name or something. Now’s not the time to pull out the pearls.

A baseball cap could pair well, too. Wear your hair up or down with this option, depending on if you want to work the hair flip or secure your ‘do.

Decorate with some rings. Whether they’re for your fingers or your ears, they will work to draw people’s attention. This simple addition of bling will make the outfit pop.

The next time you want to sport your sweats in public, DO IT. Who said comfy can’t be cute?

Jordan Holsopple is a senior at Penn State. She's majoring in digital and print journalism, with minors in English and women’s studies. When she's not writing for Her Campus at PSU, you can catch her experimenting with makeup, watching lots of TLC and spreading the word about the importance of feminism.
Aisha is currently a senior at Penn State University, studying Telecommunications in the Donald P. Bellisario College of Communications. She is a contributing writer and Campus Correspondent for Her Campus Penn State and her hobbies are reading, listening to music, and watching hockey. Originally hailing from Jakarta, Indonesia, her dream for the future is to someday be part of the book publishing industry, digital marketing or work on a media team for a sports team.