Wonder Woman 1984 Is the Movie We Need Right Now

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PSU chapter.

Unless you have been living under a rock, I am sure you have heard about the new “Wonder Woman 1984” film. To nobody’s surprise, the sequel to the beloved 2017’s “Wonder Woman” is already being inundated with positive reviews. 

With the way this year has gone, now is the perfect time for this movie’s release. For example, Susan G. Komen — a prominent breast cancer research organization — has closed all of its regional chapters. 

Feminist pioneer Ruth Bader Ginsburg passed away before she could see a woman become vice president — let alone president. Human trafficking — of which victims consist mainly of women —  has persisted, despite the increased media attention and conspiracies dealing with those significantly overpriced items on Wayfair.

I could go on for paragraphs, but you get the point. Women need to be uplifted right now. 

Personally, I have struggled with feeling beautiful or graceful throughout the year. I have not shaved my legs in months. I have not put on a full face of makeup since mask wearing has been enforced; I just slap on some concealer for my under-eyes and half-heartedly apply my mascara. 

As a constant preacher of self-love and confidence, I can’t help but feel like a hypocrite whenever I reflect on the way this year has played out and how I’ve dealt with it.

Of course, 2020 has had its good moments involving female empowerment as well, which should not be overlooked. The U.S. will finally have Kamala Harris, a woman, in the White House. The “Mulan” live-action film was released in September, and although it became a topic of controversy after actress Yifei Liu spoke in support of the Hong Kong police, it still was a movie portraying an uncommon subject: powerful, female-led roles. 

Technically, we should have had the “Black Widow” movie to appreciate as well, but the release date has been postponed to May 2021 as a result of the coronavirus pandemic.

I hope that this “Wonder Woman” sequel will rekindle that fighting spirit that is so prominent with our gender. When the first “Wonder Woman” film came out, I was elated. The only other superhero films that I had been exposed to consisted mainly of male-led roles, with a female side character (usually Black Widow) dressed in impractically skimpy fighting gear. I couldn’t help but geek out when I watched Gal Gadot struggle to act ladylike in the *very* misogynistic 1940’s.

The sequel will also include a female villain like the first film did with Doctor Poison. Kristen Wiig will be playing Diana’s archenemy, Cheetah — an archaeologist-turned-villain. Whether they are the good or bad guys, I am just happy to see female-led roles. The DC film is out now in theaters and on HBO Max.

Let’s hope “Wonder Woman” can save the day and restore the strength of women around the world!

Ava Kidd is a sophomore in the Donald P. Bellisario College of Communications at PSU. She is double majoring in Public Relations and German. On weekends, you can find her either volunteering at the local cat rescue or solving sudoku puzzles!
Arden Ericson will graduate Penn State in May of 2023. As one of the Campus Correspondents for Her Campus at PSU, she is a double-major in Public Relations and French Language. After graduation, she will pursue a career that combines her passion for educational equity, social justice and French.