Style > Beauty

Winter Beauty Probs? Don’t Worry!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PSU chapter.

While the wintertime brings such wonderful times like Christmas and glistening snow for most, it also rears its head by messing with my daily routines. 

In the summer, it is so easy to step outside and be ready to take on the day, but this winter has been a bit too cold and even more dry. 

Here are some winter beauty tips to keep yourself glowing – 

Lip care is essential 

woman putting lip balm on
Burst/Pexels

The winter season tends to suck all of the moisture out of the air, and at the same time make me sick, ultimately sucking everything out of me. 

This results in easily chapped lips that are not so nice. Therefore, a good chapstick is key here. 

I really like any with a relatively thick consistency. You might also consider a simple sugar scrub which you could even DIY at home with 1 tbsp coconut oil, 1 tbsp honey, 2 tbsp brown sugar, and ½ tbsp water.

Moisturize your face

Sol de Janeiro

The dry weather also throws off the balance of my skin. 

In dealing with breakouts, I have been applying serums but along with that, a great facial moisturizer is necessary to keep up the health of your skin. 

A fragrance-free option would be best to not disturb your skin anymore than it may already be.

…and body!

Let’s face it. Our skin all over is definitely more dry than usual. Even though we aren’t showing much of our skin nowadays it is important to moisturize, and it’s nice to smell great too. 

My favorite body moisturizer right now is the Braziliam Bum Bum cream. 

While this is on the pricier side, the smell is absolutely amazing and stays on for such a long time. It also features some great antioxidants and oils which are meant to moisturize and improve how your skin acts in protecting you from the harsh environment.

Exfoliating is also a great option to help your skin grow healthier. Make sure the scrub isn’t too harsh on the skin though, because that’ll cause more harm than good.

Care for your ends.

hair cut long hair
Photo by Engin Akyurt from Pexels

Winter not only affects your skin but also your hair. As someone who has wavy hair, my hair suffers a lot in the winters, resulting in a loss of moisture especially at my ends. 

I have been loving oil serums to combat this issue. Hair oils help to moisturize and overall protect your hair. My go-tos right now are Salerm Cosmetics Graphology oil and Hair Biology’s Argan Oil Taming serum.

Notice your hair texture.

Chill Jane via Pexels

Along with your ends possibly being dry, is your hair just not cooperating no matter what? If yes, you may benefit from adding a hair mask to your hair care routine. 

Hair masks help to hydrate your hair and restore its normal texture over time. My hair in the winter loses a lot of its wave pattern and a great moisturizing mask does wonders for me. 

My favorite right now is Mighty Curls from Raw Beauty and only $10 at Target. 

I hope this list helps you achieve your body and hair goals.

I am currently a Junior at Penn State studying Biobehavioral Health. Besides school and writing for Her Campus, I love all kinds of music and am currently learning to play the ukulele! In my free time, I love to play with my dogs as well as watch my favorite shows, New Girl and Glee.
Arden Ericson will graduate Penn State in May of 2023. As one of the Campus Correspondents for Her Campus at PSU, she is a double-major in Public Relations and French Language. After graduation, she will pursue a career that combines her passion for educational equity, social justice and French.