This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PSU chapter.

December is a time for giving gifts, and there is no greater gift than the return of Midge Maisel, Suzy and all their friends in Season 3 of The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel! A quick recap for those of you not in the loop: MMM follows a rich, Jewish housewife in the 1950s who embarks upon a career as a standup comic when her husband leaves her for his secretary, turning her life on the Upper West Side topsy-turvy. Seasons 1 and 2 introduced us to her family, new friends, and all the trials of being a rising female comic. Season 3 is sure to be an equally wild ride. If you don’t think that this is the best possible present you could ever receive, then read on. These are just five of the reasons that The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel is the best show ever made! 

It is HILARIOUS!

Our first reason is a no-brainer! Any show about a standup comedian is sure to be a knee-slapper, and The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel does not disappoint. From comical situations to impossibly rapid exchanges to unbelievably witty one-liners, this show keeps audiences breathless with laughter in every single episode. If you’re looking for a good chuckle, then this is the show for you! 

Feminism

MMM is a highly feminist show for a lot of reasons. First off, the main character is a woman. In fact, most of the main characters are women. And it’s not a show about a woman needing a man to survive, it’s a show about a woman making her own way in the world at a time when women weren’t really expected to do anything but take care of their babies. They especially weren’t expected to be successful standup comedians! Midge Maisel breaks social boundary after social boundary and to see a female-driven cast is refreshing. In addition to that, the show itself was created and directed by a woman! When 77% of the TV shows made this year had no female-identifying creators or directors, that’s a pretty big deal. Go ladies! 

Not to be shallow, but the fashion

Ok, so this one is kind of a niche reason. If you don’t appreciate clothes all that much, you might not care. But the fashion in MMM is simply stunning! Midge showcases gorgeous vintage dresses, coats, hats and gloves in every episode, and the research and artistic value that went into creating all of these costumes is not to be overlooked. The visual aesthetic of the show is beautiful, and it brings audiences back to a time of A-line skirts and elegant gloves. Oh, to wear a long pink coat and a matching hat… 

The acting is off the CHARTS 

Again, if you’re not a theatre person, you might not care about this one. But the acting in this show is amazing. I mean, look at the cast! Emmy-award winning actor Rachel Brosnahan leads the show as Midge Maisel, supported by the Emmy-award winning Alex Borstein (best known for voicing Lois Griffin in Family Guy) and Emmy and Tony-Winning, Tony Shaloub. The rest of the cast is equally talented, and the whole show is a study in comedy and perfect characters. There’s a reason it’s been nominated for so many awards! 

It’s just so real 

The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel is a comedy, but it doesn’t sugarcoat anything. Being a trailblazing woman — a divorcée, a standup comic — in the 1950s was incredibly hard, and Midge experiences sexism and prejudice to the fullest possible extent. The characters are complex and well-developed, and we get to see them all grow and change as the show progresses. There’s no telling what will happen for the ensemble as the show continues, but it is sure to be touching and relatable for all of us. 

So, there you have it! The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel is the best show ever made, and these are just 5 of the reasons why. Be sure to check out season 3 when it drops in less than a month! And remember, “tits up!”

Season 3 of The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel becomes available for streaming on Amazon Prime on December 6th, 2019. 

Nina Gold is a freshman in the BFA Acting program at Penn State. In her spare time, she enjoys writing, dance, yoga, and binging the Marvelous Mrs. Maisel.
Bailey McBride is a Senior at Penn State University pursuing a Broadcast Journalism degree with minors in Political Science and Digital Media Trends & Analytics. She is a sister of Delta Gamma. She enjoys making hyper-organizational lists and looking at future pups to adopt. Her dream job is to be Press Secretary of the White House.