Why You Should Consider Getting A Tattoo

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PSU chapter.

So you’re considering getting a tattoo.

It’s a lofty decision, considering the countless times you’ll be asked by strangers, “Is that real?” or “Wow, did that hurt?” – and because, you know, it’s permanent. If you’re teetering on the edge of getting one, or if you’ve even had a fleeting thought about getting inked, take this as a sign to GO GET IT!

Now, this isn’t to say that I encourage you to get those Drake lyrics tattooed across your shoulder without a second thought; we all know you felt it when Drake said that one thing, but explaining to your grandchildren who “Kiki” is might be an odd conversation. Rather, with some thought, getting a tattoo is a decision that can change your life for the better! With that being said, allow me to offer some perspective on why you should definitely make that tattoo appointment:

1. Getting a tattoo that means something to you is priceless.

Getting my first tattoo was a unique kind of self-love that I’d never experienced before. I’d found an illustration with meaning, and I fell in love with the story of my tattoo. I was able to work with the artist to customize my tattoo and make it my own. For me, my tattoo is a sign to keep going, regardless of struggle. For you, it could be something as simple as your mom’s birthday. That’s what’s so cool about it – no one shares the same experiences, so no two tattoos mean exactly the same thing. Find what you love, and get it tattooed onto you as a reminder. I promise every time you look at it, you’ll be reminded why you got it in the first place and you’ll smile.

2. The thrill is unparalleled.

There’s a certain anxiety that comes along with getting a tattoo, especially if you’re afraid of needles (or commitment.) With that fear, though, comes a high of “Oh my gosh, I’m actually doing this.” If you have a family like mine, then you were taught that your body’s a temple that isn’t meant to be defaced… how would you ever expect to get a job? This mindset only makes getting a tattoo more enjoyable, though; it’s the thrill of you owning your life! Facing your fears is an adrenaline rush in and of itself, but it’s also an opportunity for personal growth. 

3. Fight the patriarchy, girl!

Feminism has come a long way, and for that, I thank God – wherever she might be. I think there’s something satisfying about being a woman with a tattoo. It’s like a testament to all of the people who say that women should be dainty and small. Be bold. Make your statement. Get that tattoo as a middle finger to those who think women should be quiet and submissive. Get that tattoo as a symbol that you are in charge of you, and you can do whatever you want!

4. You’ll feel empowered.

I won’t lie to you. Tattoos aren’t painless, and depending on what you get, they’re often not quick. But after you’ve cursed your way through the pain and forced yourself to breathe through it, you’re going to feel pretty cool; an empowered kind of cool. After I got my tattoo, I wanted to tell everyone that hey, I may have cried over the last episode of Grey’s Anatomy, but I have a tattoo – so, basically, I’m fearless. Also, one of the best feelings is forgetting you have a tattoo, naturally stumbling upon it and remembering that you did that. Go you!

Hi, I'm Grace! I am an avid believer in accepting the things you can't change. I am a cat-loving, dream-seeking, accident prone yogi with a sometimes unreasonable desire to make a difference. I'm a Penn State student planning to pursue journalism, so you could say writing is kind of a big deal to me.
Samantha Grillo graduated from Penn State University with a bachelor's degree in broadcast journalism. She loves creative writing, pop culture and Penn State, all of which led her to joining the Her Campus Penn State team at the beginning of her freshman year as a contributing writer. In her free time, Samantha enjoys reading, watching her favorite TV shows, and catching up on the latest movies.