body images 2019 07 16 emilia clarke game of thrones s8e4 04 hbo jc

Why You Need to Watch Game of Thrones

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PSU chapter.

I recently decided to watch “Game of Thrones” with my roommates, and in the span of a month, we all became completely obsessed and are now on the final season of the show. 

While the show is incredibly popular, there are still some unwilling watchers due to the series’  length and content; however, I am here to tell you why you really need to watch “Game of Thrones.”

The Several Plots

Many television shows can be off-putting for viewers if the main character comes across as boring or annoying, which is why “Game of Thrones” is perfect. 

There several different plot lines — you never have to watch just one character’s journey. Also, all of the plots are different, yet still intersect within each character’s story.

The Concept

Though science fiction may not be everyone’s favorite genre, it just might be after watching “Game of Thrones.” Since the show is based off of a series of books, the world in which it takes place is incredibly detailed. After only a few episodes I completely forgot that I was watching a fantasy show. 

The Characters

All of the characters are incredibly well developed — especially the villains — and keep you on your toes! In the realm of “Game of Thrones,” no character is safe from death, which quickly teaches you to not get too attached to any single character. 

Iconic Female Representation

The entire show is filled with powerful female characters who are not defined by their gender. This was exciting to see, especially in a hit show, because I haven’t watched a lot of television shows that depict this kind of strength in their female characters. 

The Unique World

I guarantee that you have never watched another television show that is even remotely comparable to the world of Westeros in “Game of Thrones.” Within the show, there are several cultures that speak made up languages, an army of the dead, and even dragons!

What are you waiting for? Become immersed in the unique world of “Game of Thrones.” 

Junior, Film major and Women's Studies minor
Arden Ericson will graduate Penn State in May of 2023. As one of the Campus Correspondents for Her Campus at PSU, she is a double-major in Public Relations and French Language. After graduation, she will pursue a career that combines her passion for educational equity, social justice and French.