freestocks ChaY8166imQ unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
freestocks ChaY8166imQ unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Why Valentine’s Day Is Overrated

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PSU chapter.

There’s scores of people that dread February 14 as if it was Tax Day, and for good reason: every year that Valentine’s Day rolls around is, for some, another reminder of their #ForeverAlone status — and others a reminder that they forgot to get their significant other a gift for this pointless holiday. For me, I could care less about this Hallmark holiday — far from bitter, but I still find it to be unnecessary.

For starters, Valentine’s Day is right in the middle of the infamous Cuffing Season, otherwise known as the period of time in which people shack up for some warmth and company during the cold winter months. These seasonal hookups are just that – casual, undefined, and equipped with an expiration date when the spring rolls around. However, thanks to the timing of Valentine’s Day, this can complicate things. Mid-February is smack dab in the middle of the aforementioned Cuffing Season, and the holiday – filled with declarations of love, gifts of chocolate and teddy bears, and relationship-defining moments – can put a strain on any casual winter pairing. If you and your partner have agreed to keep it casual, Valentine’s Day still can stress you out with the worry of whether or not to get your fling a gift or spring for a romantic date; if you’re looking to expand the length of the relationship into a summer affair, you better be sure your other half is looking for the same thing, or the wrong move on Valentine’s Day may have you looking for another to keep you company.

If you’re in a committed relationship, Valentine’s Day still brings stress and peril every year. Just started dating? Good luck keeping it simple on a day dedicated to epic love and soulmates and all of that mushy stuff. Together a long time? Have fun planning a new, totally not cheesy and overplayed romantic day for the two of you that A) coincides with the ice on the ground and therefore the inability to do much besides slip around on the way to your date and B) isn’t the same date you’ve been recreating every year. Another downside to Valentine’s Day, even if you’re in a relationship? The pressure of having to get an original gift, especially on our depleted post-Christmas funds, can be too much for some. Dating a long time, but in a long-distance relationship? Have fun being by yourself on the day of love, but being unable to complain about it to your single friends because “at least you have someone.” Well yeah, but what’s the point of this stupid holiday if we can’t even be together? And why do we even need a day for it; isn’t that what anniversaries are for?  

Although obvious, it can’t be overstated how cumbersome buying gifts can be sometimes. Don’t have the money for anything special? Good luck. Don’t want to give the gift of a stuffed animal or CVS chocolates? Personally, I value the gift of having Chinese food delivered to my home a much more true test of your affections than the former. Seriously, I can’t stress this enough: if you don’t know what to get your boo for this holiday, order their favorite food to their home, or even check out some DIY gift ideas to set yourself apart from the rest of the pack.

In the end, Valentine’s Day can be chalked up to an over-hyped holiday made to sell chocolate and jewelry. No matter where you are on the spectrum of dating, Valentine’s Day is just another Wednesday at best, and at worst, a reminder of your lack of a date or a reminder that you forgot to get said date a gift. Even the most hopeless of romantics can agree that sometimes, this holiday is one best left uncelebrated.

I am a Public Relations major at the Pennsylvania State University. When I'm not writing for Her Campus, I enjoy watching the Office and volunteering at my local animal shelters.