Why the Non-Sorority Girl Should Rush a Sorority

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PSU chapter.

Sororities usually get a bad rep. It’s easy to understand why; with TV shows, movies, and even real life incidents portraying us as a bunch of squealing, partying girls who are obsessed with glitter. Many women may enter college firmly believing that a sorority is not for them, that they could never picture themselves in Greek life – and a lot of them are missing out on an important opportunity.

Greek life might not be for everyone, but I think that a lot of college women would be surprised to find out that it can be for them. They may not believe they would enjoy Greek life based on stereotypes and the assumptions they have before recruitment begins. What they don’t know is that there’s room for everyone in Greek life – including the not-so-typical sorority girl.

Most of my friends and many people that I have met in Greek life are far from the definition of a “sorority girl.” I was nervous, too, in the beginning, that I was signing up for something I wouldn’t belong in. I worried that I would either have to change myself or face the fact that I didn’t fit in, but I couldn’t have been more wrong. Sororities have every type of girl you can imagine, because they offer so much more than just bid day pictures and one too many flower crowns.

If you consider yourself the “non-sorority girl,” I would encourage you to at least give recruitment a try. Here are 5 reasons why you should consider rushing a sorority, even if you think it’s not for you:

1. You’ll be surprised at how many people you click with

When you walk into a sorority’s suite for the first time, you may think you already know who these girls are; that is a mistake. No stereotype can sum up the personality of every individual in a sorority. Once you talk to a couple of girls in one house, you’ll start to click and make connections, even if you didn’t expect to. Every sorority has a lot of women, and each one of them is different. Walk in with an open mind and you’ll be surprised by what you might find.

2. It’s always worth it

Everyone knows recruitment is tough. Sorority members often use this as a talking point and try to boost morale by telling the PNMs (potential new members) that it is worth it in the end – it sounds cliche, but they’re absolutely right. Even though the process is tough, it is only one week. When compared to the benefits you will receive for four years, it doesn’t sound that bad. The friends you will make, the opportunities you will receive, and the fun you will have are all waiting on the other side of recruitment, so don’t shy away just because you don’t think you can make it through the process. It may be hard to see it at the time, but it’s always worth it on the other end.

3. You can make the experience what you want out

Even the non-sorority girl can have a great Greek life experience because it’s what you make of it. You can dedicate your time to the aspects of a sorority that aren’t typically associated with the glitter-blowing part – philanthropy, IM sports, THON, whatever it may be. And a sorority doesn’t have to be the centerpiece of your college career; it can be one of many activities, one that enhances your college experience rather than dominates it. No matter what you make of it, a sorority can provide you with close friends and a large network of support and love, which is priceless. You can make your Greek experience completely unique to you, a sorority can offer a lot – even for the non-sorority girl.

4. The opportunities are endless

This can mean a variety of things, both on and off campus and in the present as well as the future. At school, a sorority creates opportunities for friends, support, fun, advice, anything you can think of. In the beginning of your college career, you may not be thinking in terms of your future and the professional world, but Greek life also provides incredible opportunities in this area, too. The people you meet now can determine your path after college. Being in a sorority introduces you to the many others in Greek life outside of your own group, and each one can contribute to your college experience now help shape your life in the future. If the thought of the adult world scares you, it’s comforting to know that there will be a large network waiting to help you out when you need it.

5. You will grow as a person

College is a time for growth, and the people you meet along the way help shape you into who you will turn out to be. Surrounding yourself with more people will only help you grow. You might bond with people with similar interests, or be challenged by those who are vastly different from you. Every person you meet will shape you in a different way, and some of those people could remain lifelong friends and influences. Stepping outside of your comfort zone, holding leadership positions, and meeting new people are all defining experiences that will help you grow into a better version of yourself. Of course, Greek life is not the only way to do this, but why not use all of the options available to you?

So, if you’re the non-sorority girl, and you think there is nothing to gain from joining Greek life, try to reconsider. There’s no harm in giving recruitment a try, and you never know what you may find. Greek life is full of women who don’t fit the typical “sorority girl” image, and that’s the beauty of it: everyone can find their home, no matter who they are.

Registration for Penn State formal recruitment ends December 31st –  click here for more information and to register!

Becky Sorensen is a senior at Penn State, double majoring in Public Relations and Political Science. You can find her on campus with an iced coffee in one hand and an everything bagel in the other. Clear your schedule before asking her how she feels about the Harry Potter series, New York City, or about the next trip she’s planning - she tends to ramble. Loudly. You can follow her at @beckylalalaa on Twitter and @beckysorensen on Instagram for hilarious puns or her undying love for THON and Penn State football.
Allie Maniglia served as the Campus Correspondent for Her Campus at Penn State from 2017-2018. She majored in public relations with minors in international studies and communication arts and sciences. If she's not busy writing away, you can find her planning her next adventure (probably back to the U.K.), feeding an unhealthy addiction to HGTV or watching dog videos on YouTube.