Why ‘Lemonade Mouth’ is the Best Disney Channel Original Movie

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PSU chapter.

When it comes to Disney Channel Original Movies, DCOMs for short, there can be hits and misses.

One movie that happens to be a complete hit is the 2011 film “Lemonade Mouth,” which I argue is the best movie in the DCOM franchise.

“Lemonade Mouth” follows a ragtag group of five teenagers who all meet in detention, form a band to stand up for their beliefs and overcome their individual and collective struggles.

If that summary isn’t enough to convince you, here are all the reasons “Lemonade Mouth” stands out as a masterful DCOM.

Cast

The outstanding performances by Bridgit Mendler, Adam Hicks, Hayley Kiyoko, Naomi Scott and Blake Michael allowed the audience to truly connect with the obstacles their characters were going through.

There is amazing chemistry between the characters that allows the dialogue to flow so smoothly. This makes the movie entertaining to watch because you don’t want to take your eyes off the screen.

SOundTrack

One of the main reasons this movie is so admirable is the phenomenal original soundtrack. From the classic “Determinate” to “She’s So Gone,” the songs are incredibly catchy and make you want to listen even more.

My personal favorite is “Somebody,” which is sung by Mendler. It holds a lot of nostalgia for me and genuinely has such a good message in the lyrics.

Name a better Disney Channel movie soundtrack, I dare you.

Storytelling

The way that the story is formatted in the movie is unlike typical Disney Channel films.

First off, it starts with a double flashback. Yes, it’s a flashback that flashes back a second time.

Secondly, we learn about each individual character’s backstory, their goals and how they all end up in detention together. I enjoy this aspect because it allows time for us as the audience to build emotional connections to each of the characters as individuals.

Lastly, as the characters start to become closer we see them open up to each other. It’s a wonderful thing to see how tight their friendships become because of the similar experiences they have in high school.

It reminds me of “The Breakfast Club,” which is such a great movie that has some of the same themes.

The Symbolism of Lemonade

My favorite part about the movie is how the band got their name.

For some backstory, if you’re unaware, there is a lemonade vending machine outside the detention room that the group practices in. The members are avid fans of Mel’s Lemonade and drink it all the time during their practices.

One day in the cafeteria, one of the jocks is bothering Mendler’s character while she is trying to get a drink.

The band members walk up to shut it down, and as the jock starts to incite a fight, Stella, Kiyoko’s character, takes a sip of Mel’s Lemonade and spits it right in the jock’s face.

And that’s how the band got the name Lemonade Mouth. Overall, I really like how the simplest thing like lemonade can bring a fun and talented group of people together.

In conclusion, “Lemonade Mouth” will continue to reign supreme as the best DCOM out there and should be taught in history books for years to come. Seriously though, this is an amazing movie that I 100% recommend watching.

Allison is a first-year student studying Digital and Print Journalism with a minor in Women's Studies. When she isn't writing for Her Campus @ PSU, she's listening to ABBA, hanging out with friends, and watching sitcoms. On the weekends, she likes to go thrifting and try new restaurants downtown.