This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PSU chapter.

Is it not working out? Do you feel like you are in too deep? Are you afraid of breaking their heart? 

Many people have these thoughts, so if you are, you’re not alone. One of the hardest things I have ever done was leave my four-year toxic relationship, but ending it is not as easy as ripping a bandaid off. It took a lot of time, consideration, willpower and a sense of independence. 

But, before I pulled the plug, the main question I kept asking was whether or not I would regret this. Odds are, if you are reading this article, you have the same question and are looking for answers. While I do not have the surefire answer to all of your problems, I will leave you with reasons why you should leave the relationship. 

All of your free time goes to them

When your downtime is being watered down because of them, that is a bad sign. Especially if they are not comprehending why you need the space. Some breathing room is essential for a healthy relationship, and spending too much time together can be sickening. 

While we all long for affection from time to time, if your partner is being overbearing even after you voice your concerns, it might be time to leave them. 

Your mental health is declining because of them

There will be low points in relationships and this can be emotionally taxing on both partners. But if you are constantly down on yourself because of their actions, that is not acceptable. 

Your partner may be using manipulation tactics without you even realizing it. I did not realize the severity of the manipulation I was receiving until I left him, and this might be the case for you, too.

If they constantly make you feel inferior, then you should not be with them.

You’re Bored

It is completely normal to feel bored in a relationship. You might be feeling guilty about this and are trying to find the fun that once was there. But sometimes, it is not worth the mental stress of it all. 

Not everyone will keep you on the edge of your seat, and it is OK to admit to yourself that you deserve and want more adventure in your love life.

Your friendships are at stake because of them

Friendships can be ruined in many ways because of romantic relationships. This can be caused by putting less of your time towards your friends, your partner’s thoughts on your friends, your friends’ thoughts on your partners, etc. One thing you have to remember is that your friends were in your life first and want nothing more than to see you happy. 

Sometimes, love is blind and your friends can see more than you are seeing. If your friend thinks negatively about who you are with, listen to them instead of cutting them off.

You’ve lost your sense of self

Because your partner has been holding you back from taking risks and enjoying life, you may have lost who you truly are. You are a young adult, and this is your time to be finding out who you are. 

If your relationship is inhibiting that experience, cut the cord.

All in all, you are so much more than your relationship. Don’t be so caught up in “finding your other half” because you are already a wonderfully whole person. You will not be lacking or incomplete without them. While it might not feel like it now, the world will keep on turning without them. 

My world has, and so will yours.

Sierra Cucciardi is a junior at Penn state majoring in Journalism.