This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PSU chapter.

The 2000s was an era characterized by the boom of technology and crazy fashion choices. Sure, I was only a kid back then and my memory of these years might be partial, but I do believe that these years helped shape the person I am today.

Here are some reasons why I miss the 2000s:  

1. Childhood

I feel like I took for granted all of those years of the early and late 2000s when I had no obligations or responsibilities and my only problem was not having enough crayons or getting into a “fight” with my best friend. Everything was so much more simple back then, and I feel like I didn’t appreciate it enough.  

2. The music

From the Jonas Brothers to Hannah Montana to High School Musical, the music in the 2000s was iconic.

3. The fashion

Remember when wearing a skirt over leggings was a thing? How could we forget about colored jeans and sparkly tops? Maybe I don’t really miss the 2000s fashion after all, but it sure is funny to look back at pictures and cringe at what I wore during that era.

4. Simplicity

Without the popularity of smartphones, everything was just simpler. We lived more in the moment and interacted more with people, rather than depending on our phones as a form of socializing.

5. School

All those years that I complained about my basic algebra homework or having to read a 50-page novel, I truly didn’t know what was coming for me. I kind of wish I would’ve enjoyed those years more instead of complaining about all the “hard” homework I had to do.

6. Memories

In all honesty, what I miss most about the 2000s are the memories that I made. That era will forever hold a special place in my heart, and I will always look back at my Jonas-Brothers-and-colored-jeans phase with a smile on my face.

GIFs via Giphy

I’m a current junior majoring in Journalism and French at Penn State. My dream is to work in publishing after college and go to law school to study corporate law. 
Allie Maniglia served as the Campus Correspondent for Her Campus at Penn State from 2017-2018. She majored in public relations with minors in international studies and communication arts and sciences. If she's not busy writing away, you can find her planning her next adventure (probably back to the U.K.), feeding an unhealthy addiction to HGTV or watching dog videos on YouTube.