laptop stickers
laptop stickers
Allie Bausinger

Why I Joined Her Campus

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PSU chapter.

College is tough. When I found myself in the midst of a pandemic, I did not know how to make the most of what I had left of my college experience. Joining Her Campus was a great experience to expand both my professional and social horizons, and there were a multitude of reasons as to why I joined and why I have continued to be a member. 

I was first introduced to Her Campus when one of our lovely Campus Correspondents posted on the Penn State Class of 2023 Facebook page. She was advertising applications for a club called Her Campus, and I decided to give it a shot. 

I was looking for a genuine group of girls. I had been having trouble meeting new people from outside my hometown, so expanding my social circle was extremely important to me. After joining Her Campus, I have found a community of like-minded women who genuinely focus on building up each other’s writing abilities. 

I would recommend Her Campus to anyone who is looking to get involved in something like a sorority, but who doesn’t have as much money or time to put towards such a huge community.

Another reason to get involved with Her Campus is to improve your writing skills. My major is Health Policy and Administration, which has little to do with the fields that are more applicable to Her Campus. I was a little hesitant to join at first for this reason, but once I started, I saw a huge improvement in my writing. 

Writing articles is great practice, and it has made me more detail oriented regarding my word choice, sentence structure, and my overall story-telling ability. 

Next, I joined Her Campus to research topics that actually interest me. There are a wide variety of sections you can write articles for — so you can embrace your passions. Currently, I write for the lifestyle section, but you can change them following every recruitment season. This helps you build your portfolio based on where you want to grow. 

Additionally, Her Campus has added more structure to my schedule. I am a person who loves to have organization in my daily schedule. Having the weekly meeting adds format to my week, as it leads me to accomplish more tasks before the meeting. 

Also, due dates for budgeted content is due on Sundays. This allows me to plan my week around how to prioritize my responsibilities. Being involved contributes to a sense of purpose — which is crucial in college. I have found this sense of purpose in Her Campus. 

As I mentioned earlier in this article, the Her Campus community feels like a sorority — even though it is not. Personally, I am involved in Greek life, and I thoroughly enjoy being a member of both communities. 

Especially in college, it is important to be involved in a mixture of academic and social clubs. This helps demonstrate how well-rounded you are. I feel like Her Campus is a great organization, as it is the perfect combination of both social and academic spheres. 

All in all, I hope this article can help you find your niche in college, regardless of if you decide to join Her Campus or not. College can be extremely difficult, but taking steps to find your people is a great step towards making the most of your college experience. 

Overall, I cannot emphasize enough how much Her Campus has developed my social and academic horizons. I hope this article allows you to research the different chapters of Her Campus at your specific college.

Health Policy and Administration student at Pennsylvania State University.
Arden Ericson will graduate Penn State in May of 2023. As one of the Campus Correspondents for Her Campus at PSU, she is a double-major in Public Relations and French Language. After graduation, she will pursue a career that combines her passion for educational equity, social justice and French.