This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PSU chapter.

Every year, Black Friday is one of my favorite days of Thanksgiving break. Thanksgiving has always been one of my favorite holidays, but going shopping the next day with all of those deals in every store never disappoints. 

A lot of people are terrified of Black Friday as they envision the horror stories the media feeds us. You may imagine Black Friday as people pushing into others trying to get the best deals on the best clothes before they go. It’s imagined that people will wake up at the crack of dawn just to get to the mall before the good stuff sells out.

However, whenever I have gone Black Friday shopping, I have always gone in the late afternoon and I have always gotten what I wanted from the stores. Is it crowded? Yes. Do I regret it? Not at all.

I love shopping, especially when there are discounts – who doesn’t love a good deal!  

Woman holding shopping bags
Photo by freestocks.org on Unsplash

Personally, I have never seen anyone fight over anything. If you are thinking about going Black Friday shopping, I definitely would recommend it. There are sales all the time, but there is nothing like the Black Friday deals. 

Also, just going to Black Friday is an experience in itself. It’s like a rush of adrenaline walking into wherever you are going and seeing all the stores crowded with people looking to buy clothes.

If you want to go, don’t think you need to wake up super early or go right at midnight. That is 110% false. Honestly, I go in the afternoon every year and I have always found good stuff to buy and the racks have never been clear of clothes. 

In addition, the lines are usually never terrible. Some stores do have lines out the door, but not all of them do! On Black Friday, it’s common for a lot of people to see the long line and not even want to get in it so they walk away. I still think it’s worth it, though. 

I believe that everyone should experience Black Friday at least once because it is so fun. I always go and I am so happy that I do, not just for the deals, but for the entire experience. 

Have fun holiday shopping, collegiettes! 

Communications, Sophomore
Arden Ericson will graduate Penn State in May of 2023. As one of the Campus Correspondents for Her Campus at PSU, she is a double-major in Public Relations and French Language. After graduation, she will pursue a career that combines her passion for educational equity, social justice and French.