Desk flatlay?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
Desk flatlay?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Unsplash
Career

Why Getting An Internship The Summer After Your First Year of College is a Good Idea

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PSU chapter.

I received an opportunity to intern with the District Attorney of Montgomery County this summer, and I am so excited for what these three months will bring. I want to be a lawyer in the future, and this is the perfect place for me to explore more about my chosen future profession.  

The District Attorney’s office is split up into many different units that investigate and prosecute crimes like juvenile crime and financial crime. I will be placed under one of these units during my time in the internship and will be exposed to the innerworkings of the Criminal Justice system.  

As a freshman, I knew I wanted to get experience in law before I committed to starting on the path to go to law school. An internship was the perfect way for me to experience firsthand what lawyers do in the workplace on a daily basis.

I recommend that you find an internship following your first year of college because it can be very beneficial to you in the following ways. 

Career exploration

The main reason I took up my internship was because of my interest in a particular career path. For the common college student, career exploration is a major part of their first year of college. Once they narrow down what major they would like to pursue, the careers that fit well with that major are worth exploring so the student has a plan for their future after graduation.  

Career exploration is a necessity so that you are not overwhelmed when you go out into the world and seek a job later on in life. It is especially important if your chosen career path includes further schooling (like law or medical school) as you need to make sure you finish any prerequisites you need when applying for admission to those institutions.  

experience

This one might be self-explanatory, but internships give you a lot of experience in your chosen field of study, your future career and the world outside of your college. People usually choose to intern in their chosen field of study to apply the information they use in their major outside of the classroom in the real world.  

Someone’s major usually coincides with their future career, but not always. For example, I’m a criminology major, but I do not want to be a criminologist. I want to be a lawyer and have instead used my internship to gain experience in a career.  

Gaining experience in the real world is also a vital reason for acquiring an internship. When you go to college, your school is your life, and you experience little else outside academics and your college’s social activities. Experiencing the real world can teach you how to interact with professionals that are not in your immediate peer groups.   

Career exploration and experience are two very good reasons to seek out an internship after your freshman year. Internships are also a very good resume builder as it shows to future employers that you are prepared to enter the workforce and excel at your chosen job because of the experience gained through internships.  

Veronica Figg is a Sophomore at Penn State University with a major in Criminology and a minor in English. She is a student in the Schreyer Honors College. She has been writing since she was young. When she isn't in class you can find her in the library curled up with a good book or working on her second novel.