Why Clare Crawley Isn’t the Bachelorette We Wanted

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PSU chapter.

Clare Crawley first appeared on “The Bachelor” franchise in 2014, competing for the heart of the infamous Juan Pablo Galavis. Starting off as just another contestant, she ended her time with Gavaris by telling him off when she learned he wouldn’t propose to her.  

Six years later, she was announced as the Bachelorette. 

When Crawley was announced as the Bachelorette, there were mixed emotions. Many were excited because they watched her exhibit “girl power,” infamously stating, “I would never want my children having a father like you.” 

Courtesy of ABC/Craig Sjodin

Many people were upset because Crawley was on “The Bachelor,” two seasons of “Bachelor in Paradise,” and “The Bachelor Winter Games” for one season. She had multiple chances on the show, and many didn’t understand why she would want to be the Bachelorette after failing to find love on the show multiple times before.

Over quarantine, many people kept up online with “The Bachelorette” filming, and we now know that Tayshia Adams, from Colton’s season, comes to replace Crawley after a few weeks of filming.

Crawley, on the first night, basically only cared about getting to know one man — Dale Moss. As viewers, it felt like she had written all of the other guys off. There were rumors that they talked during quarantine and before filming, but who knows with social media. 

The guys on the show are now starting to see Crawley’s tunnel vision. She took Zach J. on a one-on-one date, and as she tried to lean in and kiss him, she pulled away supposedly thinking he didn’t want to kiss her. 

Afterwards, he was confused as to why she pulled away. This video blew up on Twitter because she seemed to lean in for the kiss, and he seemingly wanted to kiss her. She took this opportunity of “him not kissing her” as an excuse to send him home.

In the episode before, Yosef, who has left the show since, brought up a good point about Crawley’s maturity. For one of the group dates, she had the boys play strip dodgeball. 

The Bachelorette strop dodgeball
Photo by ABC / Craig Sjodin

He thought it was immature for a 39-year-old to do, and even though he was not on this date, he would not have wanted his daughter to see him on live TV stripping to find love. 

In an episode of “The Viall Files” podcast, ABC executive Robert Mills pinpointed the exact moment when they knew Crawley had to be replaced. On last week’s episode, on one of the group dates, she decided to not give out the rose. To make matters worse, she gave it to herself. 

Mills said they began to make “the call” after that. 

Along with that, she has just been very dramatic in random situations, alluding to the fact that the other boys are not interested or want to get to know her. However, it is clear she is the one uninterested in them — she is only making excuses to justify her behavior with Moss. 

From reading many social media posts, Crawley has just been annoying to many and everyone seems ready for the switch to Adams. We will just have to see how the next couple of episodes play out as her journey ends. 

I am a junior at Penn State from Annapolis, Maryland. I am involved in greek life and THON.
Arden Ericson will graduate Penn State in May of 2023. As one of the Campus Correspondents for Her Campus at PSU, she is a double-major in Public Relations and French Language. After graduation, she will pursue a career that combines her passion for educational equity, social justice and French.