Who I Think Should Perform at the Next Super Bowl Halftime Show

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PSU chapter.

No doubt about it, Rihanna killed her halftime performance at the Super Bowl 57. Maybe it’s because I missed her so much, but I had chills her whole set.

She gave us vocals, stunts, choreography and a pregnancy announcement in only 13 minutes.

TikTok was feuding over what song she was going to open with. Most guesses were “Please Don’t Stop the Music” or “S&M,” but she surprised most with a praiseworthy rendition of “B**** Better Have My Money.”

I sat there stunned. I had forgotten about all her great hits until she started going through the setlist.

I can’t even blame her husband, A$AP Rocky, for filming a 360º video of the lit-up arena as she closed with another classic, “Diamonds.” 

Once her mini-concert ended, I immediately started thinking about other iconic halftime performances. My favorite was Lady Gaga in 2017, who entered the arena by jumping down from the top.

Lady Gaga was the first artist I saw live, so maybe I am biased, but she knows how to put on a show. 

GIF by ADWEEK - Find & Share on GIPHY

I also thoroughly enjoyed the year prior when Coldplay, Beyoncé and Bruno Mars hit the stage in 2016. Vocally they are all so gifted. The “Uptown Funk” and “Formation” medley still comforts me today. 

In my opinion, one of the most underwhelming halftime performances was The Black Eyed Peas in 2011. Fergie singing “Sweet Child of Mine” off-key while Slash had a guitar solo was punishment for all listeners.

Usher came on stage with them and looked scared the whole time— I can’t blame him. I was only ten, but it is a core memory regardless.

Each person has their preferences, but now that I have set the stage (no pun intended), I will share who I think would have a fantastic halftime performance, in no particular order. 

Justin Bieber

Before I had any identity, I knew I was a Belieber. Justin Bieber was my first crush, obsession, everything.

Whenever I am home with my childhood best friend, we have car concerts that go through his entire early discography. To this day, I will rock out to Baby Bieber and reminisce on the fangirl experience.

That’s what is so great about Bieber as a choice: his discography is immense. The man has hits ranging from 2009 to 2021.

No matter the generation, they would recognize a song. Not to mention, Bieber is a talented dancer and would put on a great show. 

In 2014, Bieber was arrested for DUI, which took him out of the public’s good graces. Since then, he has proved himself a loving husband to Hailey (formally Baldwin) Bieber.

He also was diagnosed with Ramsay Hunt syndrome in 2022, which frighteningly affected his face and forced him to reschedule shows in his world tour. It is easy to feel empathetic about that. 

Undoubtedly, Bieber is a global influence in modern-day popular music. His youthful, upbeat demeanor would end in a fantastic gig.

Ariana Grande

Another face of pop, Ariana Grande, has the vocals and range to impress every listener with her performance. Recognizable songs like “Into You,” “positions,” “Break Free” and “7 rings” all come from different albums. 

Grande has been busy putting her efforts into her makeup line, r.e.m. beauty, and perfume line for a long time. She also was cast to play Glinda in the movie-musical “Wicked,” which will be released at the end of 2024. 

While her fans would love her to make more music, it seems Grande has a lot on her plate right now and the Super Bowl performance is not on her mind. If she ever decides to release a new album, or even not, I’m sure she would be given the spot if she wanted it. 

God Is A Woman GIF by Ariana Grande - Find & Share on GIPHY

Drake

I am surprised Drake has yet to headline a halftime show. He has the charisma, the hits and the connections.

Drake has been an iconic name in the realm of rap and now pop for a while. He’s been pumping out albums and features like his life depend on it.

He has some of collaborations that would be awesome with guests on the big stage. For example, “The Motto” with Lil Wayne, throw Nicki Minaj in that mix for “Only” and “Rich Flex” with 21 Savage, to name a few. His singles are even more iconic, like “One Dance,” “Passionfruit,” “Hotline Bling” and “God’s Plan.”

I feel like he fits in the same department as Rihanna in which if a song goes big, it’s going the biggest it possibly can. His halftime show would be full of classics and the scheduled 13 minutes would fly by. 

His inherent swagger and bubbly side would be entertaining to watch.

Elton John

Enough said for this one. Throughout decades as a performer, Elton John has proven himself to have one of the most everlasting, meaningful music careers of all time. He always finds ways to keep himself relevant.

For example, he has collaborated with modern artists like Dua Lipa and Kanye West and other stars from the 20th century such as John Lennon, George Michael, Aretha Franklin and Stevie Wonder.

Elton John has been on his “Farewell Yellow Brick World Tour” for six years and plans to end in Switzerland this July. It was supposed to be four years, but crowd demand got him to extend it another two. Say it does end this summer, wouldn’t that mean he is available to perform in February 2024 if he so pleased?

Hearing his top hits like “I’m Still Standing,” “Rocket Man,” “Tiny Dancer” and more on the big stage would help his career go out with a bang.

Though I don’t think Elton John has the dance moves in him anymore to curate the best stage presence, I am sure if he asked any other performing artist to join him for the occasion, they would say “yes” in a heartbeat to get some more energy going. 

Being one of the top-selling artists of all time with 300 million records sold worldwide, he is sure to reach many generations of fans and the most colorful performance to go along with it. 

Pitbull

I am sitting here giggling because I am getting so excited at the idea of a Pitbull halftime show. I can’t think of a better person than Mr. Worldwide to spice up the game’s intermission.

Is the team you’re rooting for not playing well? Oh, don’t worry. Pitbull is here to get you dancing spirits and lift your spirits.

The energy would be electric. The songs performed together would be life-changing. The choreography would be extraordinary.

I want every single individual who has done an iconic collaboration with him to be there— no exceptions. 

Ne-Yo? Yeah, you better be there for “Give Me Everything” and “Time of Our Lives.” Enrique Iglesias, I better see your beautiful face for “I Like It” without question. 

Sorry, I’m getting heated. Just like the warm Miami sun. Mr. 305…OK, I’m done, sorry— you get my point.  

Pitbull GIF by Miss USA - Find & Share on GIPHY

Doja Cat

Doja Cat is enigmatic. Her music and personality are dynamic, versatile and humorous.

I find her authentic and I willingly sit through three-minute compilations of her goofing around on TikTok. People have grown to love the way she doesn’t take herself too seriously. 

Her songs also tend to go viral on TikTok and users make dance routines to them, which circulate her content even more. You are lying if you did not attempt the dance to “Say So” circa 2019. 

Doja Cat has proven herself a powerful force in the music industry, as she has already won a Grammy and five Billboard Music Awards, to highlight a few accomplishments. I can only imagine what other hits she will come out with later in her career that put her even more in the spotlight. 

She would be an excellent choice for the halftime show due to her charisma, iconic tracks and enthralling stage presence. I see her being selected to do the show within five years.

Miley Cyrus and Dolly Parton

Hannah Montana was a queen to me growing up and I consider Dolly Parton my third grandmother. This duo would bring me to absolute tears of gratitude. When I learned Parton is Miley Cyrus’ godmother, it became a fact I would never forget.

Recently Cyrus released her first single, “Flowers,” from her highly anticipated album “Endless Summer Vacation.” On Jan. 26, the song became the most-streamed song in a single week in Spotify history for the second consecutive week.

I have never religiously listened to her music, but I look forward to listening to the album when it comes out on March 10.

Besides the new music, she has her old hits that everyone would recognize. Football fans everywhere would agree that the Super Bowl is literally a “Party in the USA.” More recent songs like “We Can’t Stop” and her rendition of “Heart of Glass” would be showstopping.

Now, dream about Dolly Parton singing them all with her. Stunning! Amazing! Jaw-dropping!

And don’t worry— they will sing “9 to 5” and “Jolene” and knock everyone’s socks off. If they mixed in other popular songs from the 80s, it would reach even more generations of viewers.

The two ladies together would be a core memory for them as an honorary family and a treat for the audience. It would be heart-warming and sensational.

Miley Cyrus Dance GIF by Recording Academy / GRAMMYs - Find & Share on GIPHY

While I’m a football fanatic, the halftime show is the most exciting palette cleanser. And as we learned from Rihanna, the show can rack in more views than the actual game (5 million more, to be precise).

With such high stakes, all we can do is twiddle our thumbs, awaiting the announcement of who will take the stage for Super Bowl 58 in 2024.

Julia is a third-year advertising student with minors in digital media trends & analytics and sports studies. Some of her favorite things are fantasy football, going to concerts, cute baby animals and spiked ice coffees from Doggie's Pub.