What’s Up With Generation Y?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PSU chapter.

The Millennial Generation, also commonly referred to as “Gen Y,” is the demographic of individuals born between the early 1980s to early 2000s—people who are in their teens to early 30s in the early 2010s.  The most commonly referenced specific birth range being 1982-2000. 70 million Americans total… our generation.

Lately I’ve come across several negative arguments against our generation, this generation. These arguments highlight particular disfavor towards our laziness, delusion, increasing demands, desired flexibility, and “me, me, me,” attitudes. These complaints resonated deeply with those in the workforce. As a senior, six months away from graduation and preparing to enter the workforce myself full steam ahead soon after, I decided to dig a bit further into what is it with Gen Y’s these days that have made for such newsworthy conversation.

Positive Characteristics:

·      Confident

·      Self-expressive

·      Neoliberal in regards to politics and economics

·      Upbeat

·      Driven

·      Receptive to new ideas/ ways of living

·      Increased open mindedness—increase support of gay rights/ equal rights for minorities

·      Increased use and familiarity with communication, media, digital technologies

·      Receptive to diversity

Negative Characteristics:

·      Narcissism

·      Entitlement

·      High expectations of others in favor of “me”

·      Emphasis on extrinsic values—money, fame, image

·      Less emphasis on intrinsic values—self-acceptance, group affiliation, community

Gen Y has been pampered, nurtured, and programmed with a slew of activities since birth, translating into: high performance and high maintenance. This generation is less likely to respond to traditional command and control type of management, still very much prevalent in today’s workforce. Ready and willing to challenge the status quo, Gen Y’s seek independence and tech savvy tools to carry out a task. After living through financial upheaval with a recession that being in December 2007, and higher than normal unemployment rates since, this generation has become financially wise—caring about benefits and retirement plans. Flexibility in the workplace is desired over a structured 9-5 schedule, reporting to a centralized location day after day. Telecommuting and Skype increasingly appeal to this generation that is focused on immediateness and multitasking. We believe in our own self worth and value enough that we’re not shy about trying to change companies who hire us.

All and all, I don’t see what is so terrible about Gen Y’s, although I am biased in that I am a Gen Y. The way I see it, we have been exposed to a tremendous amount in the last two decades primarily due to increased technology and thus constant media exposure. We are the children who saw the aftermath of the terrorist attacks of 911, twelve years ago, we were raised during the growth of the Internet and were tweens with the launch of social media sites like Facebook. We have lived through the housing bubble burst, and a recession. Our exposure to the world, and advancements in technology that have made receiving information and communicating immediate is not our fault, nor should we be frowned upon for this mindset. You are a product of your environment, and Gen Y’s are the Millennial children who experienced rapid change in a relative short period of time. We are the generation from which generations older and younger will look to for guidance. We’ve experienced a lot of change, but instead of resisting it, we are evolving with it, and I’m excited to see what’s to come.

“Do not settle for happiness; be ambitious enough to seek meaning”

Torri Singer is an undergrad student at Penn State University. She is a broadcast journalism major and loves all things creative, so when she joined the PSU HC chapter she knew it was right up her alley. Her favorite topics to cover include lifestyle, pop culture, relationships and current events. When she isn't writing or editing she loves trying her hand at photography and recently won second place in the national Society of Professional Journalism award for her photography coverage of Hurricane Sandy. Torri is currently interning in New York City in the creative services department of WPIX Chanel 11 News as well as writing editorial pieces for The Two River Times Newspaper in New  Jersey. After graduation she hopes to be heading to live in New York City, her favorite place in the world.