Feature Hero Zodiac Spending Hero
Feature Hero Zodiac Spending Hero
Megan Charles / Her Campus Media

What Your Sun, Moon, and Rising Actually Mean

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PSU chapter.

If you’re interested in astrology at all, you have heard of sun, moon, and rising signs. At the very least, you know the answer to the question, “What’s your zodiac sign?” Your sun moon and rising signs correlate with where the stars and planets are at the exact date, time, and place of your birth. If you don’t know the exact time, a close estimate will still be decently accurate. These three signs are so commonly misunderstood and give more specific insight about yourself as a person. 

1) Sun Sign

Your sun sign is the one most commonly known and the answer to the question, “What’s your zodiac sign?” The sun sign can be determined by where the sun is located when you were born. We all know the sun is the center of the solar system and essentially your sun sign is the center of you.

What I mean by this is your sun sign is your ego and you will typically take on personality traits that relate to your sign.

2) Moon Sign

New Girl Nick Miller Emotional GIF
Giphy / Fox

The moon reflects light from the sun. As the moon’s light is a reaction from the sun, your moon sign shows us how we deal with situations and react to the world around us. This ties together with how we regulate our thoughts and emotions. Since we don’t always see the moon, not everyone always sees the characteristics of this sign in you.

It deals with the deeper emotions not everyone gets to see and your process through your internal struggles.

3) Rising Sign

woman looking at her reflection in mirror
Photo by Andrea Piacquadio from Pexels

Your rising sign is often referred to as your ascendant. This constellation was coming up over the Eastern Horizon during the time of your birth. The Eastern Horizon is where the sky meets the Earth. This meeting of the sky and Earth is symbolic in astrology of your soul entering your body. Your rising sign has to do with how you present yourself to other people.

Think of this as the lens through which your friends, family, and everyone else in your life sees you.

Now with your new knowledge, I recommend searching in Google “Free Astrology Birth Chart.” Once you’re there enter your birth date, place, and time. You’ll be able to get a pretty accurate reading of all of these signs and more! There are also free apps like Co-Star where you can find your birth chart and even add friends to compare all of your signs with theirs.

If you want to be hardcore you can go to an astrologist and they can give you the most accurate reading and tell you the most about yourself. However, this last option can get pricey. No matter which method you chose, once you read and learn about your signs you are sure to get better insight to yourself.

Jackie Maese is a senior at Penn State majoring in Telecommunications and Theater Studies. If she's not writing at her laptop, you can probably find her cooking up a masterpiece, petting a dog, or eating a New Jersey bagel.
Arden Ericson will graduate Penn State in May of 2023. As one of the Campus Correspondents for Her Campus at PSU, she is a double-major in Public Relations and French Language. After graduation, she will pursue a career that combines her passion for educational equity, social justice and French.