What You Need to Know About the 2023 Oscars

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PSU chapter.

The 95th Academy Awards will highlight some of the best films, directors and actors and actresses produced in 2022. Continue reading for everything to know about the 2023 Oscars.

Live on Sunday, March 12

During the second week of March, you can watch the Oscars live. The ceremony begins at 8 p.m. EST, and the red carpet should start around 5 p.m., which will occur at the Dolby Theatre at Ovation Hollywood.

Jimmy Kimmel

For the third time, Jimmy Kimmel will be hosting the Academy Awards. Kimmel previously hosted the Oscars in 2017 and 2018, and follows the job held last by Amy Schumer, Regina Hall and Wanda Sykes. You can also expect performances at the awards ceremony from some of the nominees— such as Rihanna and Lady Gaga.

and the nominees are…

The contenders for the 95th Academy Awards will honor movies released in 2022, and the nominees have been released by the Academy.

The nominees for Actor In A Leading Role include Austin Butler (“Elvis”), Colin Farrell (“The Banshees of Inisherin”), Brendan Fraser (“The Whale”), Paul Mescal (“Aftersun”) and Bill Nighy (“Living”). Austin Butler recently won Best Actor in a Drama Motion Picture at the 2023 Golden Globes.

The contenders for Actress In A Leading Role are Cate Blanchett (“Tár”), Ana De Armas (“Blonde”), Andrea Riseborough (“To Leslie”), Michelle Williams (“The Fablemans”) and Michelle Yeoh (“Everything Everywhere All at Once”). Similar to Austin Butler, Michelle Yeoh just took home a Golden Globe for Actress in a Musical or Comedy Motion Picture.

For Actor In A Supporting Role, the following nominees are Brendan Gleeson (“The Banshees of Inisherin”), Brian Tyree Henry (“Causeway”), Judd Hirsch (“The Fablemans”), Barry Keoghan (“The Banshees of Inisherin”) and Ke Huy Quan (“Everything Everywhere All at Once”).

Nominees for Actress In A Supporting Role are Angela Bassett (“Black Panhter: Wakanda Forever”), Hong Chau (“The Whale”), Kerry Condon (“The Banshees of Inisherin”), Jamie Lee Curtis (“Everything Everywhere All at Once”) and Stephanie Hsu (“Everything Everywhere All at Once”).

For the Cinematography Academy Award, contenders are “All Quiet On the Western Front,” “Bardo,” “False Chronicle of a Handful of Truths,” “Elvis,” “Empire of Light” and “Tár.”

Nominees for Animated Feature Film includes Guillermo Del Toro’s “Pinocchio,” “Marcel the Shell With Shoes On,” “Puss In Boots: The Last Wish,” “The Sea Beast” and “Turning Red.”

My personal favorite Academy Award is for Costume Design, the contenders being Mary Zophres (“Babylon”), Ruther Carter (“Black Panther: Wakanda Forever”), Catherine Martin (“Elvis”), Shirley Kurata (“Everything Everywhere All at Once”) and Jenny Beavan (“Mrs. Harris Goes to Paris”).

The Academy Award for Directing nominees are Martin McDonagh (“The Banshees of Inisherin”), Daniel Kwan and Daniel Scheinert (“Everything Everywhere All at Once”), Steven Spielberg (“The Fablemans”), Todd Field (“Tár”) and Ruben Östlund (“Triangle of Sadness”).

For Film Editing, the nominees include Mikkel E.G. Nielson (“The Banshees of Inisherin”), Matt Villa and Jonathan Redmond (“Elvis”), Paul Rogers (“Everything Everywhere All at Once”), Monika Willi (“Tár”) and Eddie Hamilton (“Top Gun: Maverick”).

You can find additional information about contenders for the other awards on the Academy Awards’ website, such as Makeup and Hairstyling, Music (Original Score), Music (Original Song), Best Picture, Production Design, Visual Effects, and more.

Fourth-year Schreyer student majoring in political science, global and international studies, and minoring in ethics.