This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PSU chapter.

Other than the open bar, the steak, the salmon, and the hundreds of eligible young men with stable jobs – weddings can be stressful. The main reason for this stress is the inevitable question you’ll be asked: “Are you bringing a plus one?” In my eyes, weddings are the adult version of formals, so I’m here to tell you ladies what you should be looking for in your perfect plus one.

1. They should have a good sense of style.

I take my outfits that I wear to formal events very seriously. If you can’t look as good as I do, then we’re already going to have problems. Yes, gentlemen, that means no high socks with your Nike slides.

2. They should be comfortable with meeting your friends and family.

If you’re planning to bring a boy who’s non-committal and may not be the most upstanding member of society, you may want to re-think bringing him to meet the most important people in your life.

3. They should be clear on the status of your relationship.

I can’t think of a worse scenario than having one of your friends or family members asking your plus one what you are and you having two completely different answers.

4. They should be comfortable with spending an extended period of time with you.

Yes, this means more than one night or a couple of hours. Weddings are usually a weekend affair with multiple events, which means you and your plus one will be together for a while. Make sure that you actually enjoy their company more than their pretty face.

5. They should understand that they’re the guest at YOUR event.

This may sound self-explanatory, but they’re your guest – so they need to act like it. If they’re being rude or embarrassing, it may be time to cut them off after this weekend.

With these tips, your biggest worry at a wedding should be where the jumbo shrimp is located during cocktail hour!

Brittany Krugel is a student at Penn State. She is majoring in broadcast journalism in the College of Communications. She is a member of the Phi Mu Sorority at Penn State. She one day hopes to work for CNN or ABC as a broadcast journalist. When she's not tweeting about mac& cheese and Hillary Clinton, she enjoys netflix binges, listening to Kanye West, and going to Penn State Football games.
Samantha Grillo graduated from Penn State University with a bachelor's degree in broadcast journalism. She loves creative writing, pop culture and Penn State, all of which led her to joining the Her Campus Penn State team at the beginning of her freshman year as a contributing writer. In her free time, Samantha enjoys reading, watching her favorite TV shows, and catching up on the latest movies.