Career

What I Learned From My First “Big Girl” Job

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PSU chapter.

Growing up, my dad has always commended me for how independent I’ve was. “No, I’ll do it myself” was my anthem.

But there came a time when I was sick and tired of asking my parents for money and was determined to get myself a job. I had done my fair share of babysitting prior to this, but it did not amount to the responsibility I would encounter with my first real job.

Late in the summer of my junior year of high school, I applied to work at a local bakery in my hometown. I wasn’t positive I’d get a call back, but sure enough, I got one!

Excited, but super nervous, I walked into my first day of training. Sweaty palms and weak knees encompassed all of my first shift. “It’s just first day jitters”, my mom texted me. I knew she was right, but all I could think about was any possible way I could mess up, or worse, get fired on the first day.

Without a doubt, many mistakes were made along the way before I even felt a sense of comfortability and structure at my job. But in hindsight, I learned a lot more about myself and the working world than I ever would’ve without it.

Customer Service

The customer is always right. This was one of the first things I was taught. If a customer wants something, you get it. If a customer decides they don’t want something, you get rid of it. Even if they were the one who made the mistake, they’re still right.

Trying to maintain this neutral attitude was tough at first, but I got the hang of it. Just smile and nod. I would say this over and over in my head if a customer was being difficult. That’s all you can do, because most customers won’t admit they’re wrong and there’s no point in trying to negotiate.

Teamwork

We’ve all heard the saying, “teamwork makes dream work”. Having the ability to successfully work with others is the key to handling a “big girl” job.

You’ll find that your coworkers become very necessary to rely on in order to deal with stressful situations that come about in a work environment. They’ll evidently be your lifeline.

At the bakery, we had what was known as “Sunday rush”. When I would work that morning shift, around breakfast time, the shop would be flooded with customers. We’d all be running around crazy trying to get orders out as fast as possible. It was important for us to be keep each other in line to make sure everything ran smoothly.

Without my co-workers, these shifts would be unbearable and lots more would’ve went wrong.

Self-Sufficiency

I think one of the greatest takeaways I had was the feeling of self-sufficiency after receiving each paycheck. Something about working for my own money and being able to decide how I want to spend it gave me a great deal of independence and responsibility.

It was honestly one of the most rewarding things about the job. I also learned about how to budget more effectively and not spend my money all in one place. It helped create a balance for me so I was able to buy things for myself, while maintaining a good amount of savings.

Reliability

Learning to become a reliable person is a quality that is needed in every aspect of life. Staying punctual and on task are the two best pieces of advice I can give to someone who is starting their first job.

If your boss is counting on you to show up to your shift on time, ready to work, you need to be that employee they can count on. If a coworker needs you to cover their shift in an emergency, you want to be the person that is there to help.

I recall one time a fellow co-worker had burned her hand on the espresso machine. She had texted me in a frantic asking if I could cover her closing shift. I immediately got in the car and drove down to the bakery to take over her shift so she could get her hand checked out. In times like these you want to be that person/employee that is someone they can rely on.

It’s What You Make Of It

It’s no secret that there were times when I absolutely dreaded going to work. However, I believe work is what you make of it. If you have a negative mindset about it and make things miserable for yourself, of course you’re going to dread going.

What I was able to discover was that it’s not always going to be a walk in the park. There will be situations and customers that make you want to quit, but you have to understand that’s just how the working world works. Instead, practice having a lighthearted outlook on it and laugh at little mistakes and stressful times.

Strong Work Ethic

My first job is what evidently built the strong work ethic I have today. Valuing service and having your employer recognize your efforts is extremely gratifying. It made me feel a sense of importance and purpose in my life.

Using my skills and energy to perform the best I could be was a quality I was unaware I even had. It led to an increase in my efforts in school and other aspects of life. I wanted that sensation of success and productivity I got from earning a steady pay and working extra hard.

Vanessa Hohner is currently a first-year student minoring in Journalism at Penn State. She loves all things writing and has a special place in her heart for reality TV.