Four Diamonds Hand
Four Diamonds Hand
Morgan Weindel

What to Expect at Your First THON

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PSU chapter.

THON is one of the most magical weekends of the year for Penn State students. It’s a 46 hour no sitting, no sleeping dance marathon to raise money for pediatric cancer. The money raised goes to the Four Diamonds Foundation, a foundation that pays all expenses for children battling cancer. 

For those who are not familiar with it or have never been to THON here a couple things you can expect:

1. You’ll get the chills the second you walk through the door 

This weekend is one of the most amazing, magical weekends you’ll experience in your time at Penn State. Bright colors and signs with greek letters and names of organizations fill will your vision. The sense of community at THON is one that you won’t experience anywhere else. The entire school comes together, standing for 46 hours with one goal in mind: find a cure for childhood cancer. 

1. Your feet will hurt

Whether you’re there with a THON organization, sorority or just there for fun you cannot sit at all. From the time you enter the BJC until the time you leave, you must stand just like the 700+ dancers. There’s really no way to avoid your feet hurting but I recommend walking laps or even just dancing around in place to take your mind off the pain. 

1. Things you should and should not bring

As a spectator there are two things you absolutely cannot bring in: water and food. Although you can’t bring them in you can bring an empty water bottle to fill up in the BJC. Be sure to bring a portable charger (make sure it’s charged) and some tissues if you plan on being there for Final Four. Final Four is a very emotional four hours that will definitely require tissues and being around the people you love. 

1. Pep Rally is everyone’s favorite so get there SUPER early

Pep Rally is a super fun event that normally happens on the Saturday of THON. During this time athletes from different sports go on stage and perform fun dance routines. Everyone loves this event so make sure you get to the BJC early. Once the building reaches capacity, no one is allowed to enter so make sure you get there super early on Saturday. 

1. Stay for Final Four, it’s the most amazing four hours of your life

By the end of the weekend, your feet and legs will hurt and you’ll be absolutely exhausted but try and stay for Final Four if possible. This event occurs in the last four hours of THON and is something truly special. From special performances to hearing THON families speak, to honoring all the THON children that have passed away, these four hours show you what THON is truly about. 

1. Have fun and make amazing memories

THON is such an amazing, life changing event that will impact your life in some type of way. Be sure to take pictures and videos to capture all the amazing memories you’re making with your friends. You’ll have the time of your life in these three short days so make sure you make the most of it!

Morgan Weindel is a junior at Penn State University. She is majoring in Broadcast Journalism and minoring in Spanish and also receiving a certificate in Sports Journalism from the John Curley Center. She grew up in Phillipburg, New Jersey where she developed a love for sports and writing at an early age. Along with writing for Her Campus, Morgan serves as a captain for Homecoming, volunteer for THON and a member of the Association for Women in Sports Media. You can find her on twitter and instagram at @morganweindel.
Bailey McBride is a Senior at Penn State University pursuing a Broadcast Journalism degree with minors in Political Science and Digital Media Trends & Analytics. She is a sister of Delta Gamma. She enjoys making hyper-organizational lists and looking at future pups to adopt. Her dream job is to be Press Secretary of the White House.