This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PSU chapter.

We Are Not Going Abroad, So Now What? 

Studying abroad in college is kinda a rite of passage. There is no other time in your life when you are given four months to travel Europe with little to no responsibility. Most abroad programs are set up in a way that allows you to sightsee and travel, so that you don’t have to spend too much time on your homework. 

Basically, I am saying that studying abroad is when you frolic around the world with your closest friends and attend an art or cooking class here and there. It’s when you experience different cultures and you break out of your little college town bubble. 

Because of COVID-19, all abroad programs have been canceled for the spring semester because of the travel restrictions and the uncertainty of the virus. This has been devastating to the juniors in college who have been looking forward to their semester since the minute they arrived at college. 

I am a prime example of that student. I have been dreaming of studying in Florence for as long as I can remember, and my family has been planning their trips to visit me for the past two years. Up until the day that I received the email about the cancelation of the program, I refused to admit that I meant not be able to go to Italy. I was hopeful, to say the least. 

Since the day I learned that I would not be studying abroad, my anger and frustration has only gotten worse. I know it is not anyone’s and it is definitely the right call, but it just still sucks. I find myself ending every little frustrated rant with “AND I am not going abroad, how could this get worse?” 

I know that many other people are going through the same experience I am. So I am going to ask my question again, what do we do now? 

I have come up with a list of activities that won’t exactly solve the problem of not going abroad, only make it a tiny bit better. 

Visit Epcot 

close up image of the Epcot Ball in Disney
Photo by David Buchi from Pexels

In no means is Orlando, Florida anything like Europe, but it is the best next option. If we can’t travel to the real Paris or Sweden, we might as well go to the fake one (and hang out with Mickey Mouse of course) Don’t forget to mask up!

Travel after graduation

Unsplash

Unfortunately, I just don’t think traveling the summer of 2021 will be worth it. We don’t know what the world is going to look like in six months, so it may be wise to save that major trip for summer 2022. Think of it as a reward for graduating college and surviving a global pandemic!  

Buy yourself a realllllly good gift

YSL, Prada, Chanel
Photo by Laura Chouette from Unsplash

Nothing makes me feel better than a little retail therapy. I know that you have money saved up for your world tour through Europe, take out a little bit of that money and bring it to the jeweler. I like my money where I can see it, on my wrist. 

Penn State 2022
Arden Ericson will graduate Penn State in May of 2023. As one of the Campus Correspondents for Her Campus at PSU, she is a double-major in Public Relations and French Language. After graduation, she will pursue a career that combines her passion for educational equity, social justice and French.