Ways to Give Back During the Season of Giving

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PSU chapter.

The holiday season can be an incredibly hard time for some people and isn’t talked about enough.

There are countless organizations, charities and small business dedicated towards improving the lives of people worldwide but their success comes directly from their donators.

If you’re looking to spread some cheer this holiday season, look no further.

Here are a couple ways you can give back:

Toys for tots

For many children, the holiday season is a time of excitement around what presents they’ll receive.

Toys for Tots has a ton of volunteer opportunities ranging from donating toys to a drive, hosting a donation drive/event and so many other local volunteer opportunities. Toys for Tots works with families and children worldwide, so your impact will make a difference globally.

Visit their website to see how you can impact a child in need!

St. Jude children research hospital

This is an amazing hospital that’s changed the lives of countless families worldwide. Their main focus is treating pediatric illnesses, specifically pediatric cancer.

St. Jude helps families with children experiencing cancer by assisting them expenses such as housing, meals, travel and treatment. This isn’t possible without the donations given to this amazing organization.

If you’re unable to donate, they also offer the opportunity of sending a free, customizable card to St. Jude patients. Many children who are sick don’t have the option of going home for the holidays and it truly lifts their spirits to get a card from someone who wants to share their love and encouragement.

volunteer at a local homeless shelter or food bank

Giving back to your local area is the best way to spread your love and kindness this holiday season.

The holiday season is a busy time for these smaller organizations and your help would mean the world to them as well as the people they’re trying to help. Finding organizations in your area can be as simple as a Google search.

It will give you a more positive outlook on life knowing that you’ve helped someone in need.

attend a blood-drive

This is one of the easiest ways you can help someone out, and a bonus is that you can do it year-round!

American Red Cross blood-drives are usually the easiest to attend, as there are always drives you can find locally. If you can’t find a drive in your area, you can always organize and host one!

Donating blood saves lives. If you’re a healthy individual, there’s no better way to give back to someone in need. Blood donations help those who need surgery, are in cancer treatment or need blood due to the result of a traumatic injury.

Check out the American Red Cross website to see where a drive might be going on close to you. Before you sign up, make sure you’re fully eligible (all requirements can be found on their website).

Volunteer at an animal shelter

Don’t forget about the animals, they need some love during the holidays too!

This time of year can be incredibly lonely in a shelter, with the employees animals see everyday take time off to celebrate. Not only is it good for the animals, but its good for humans too.

Being around animals has been shown to lower stress and blood pressure, so no need for an excuse to get some cuddles!

a bonus way to give back: donate to thon!

THON is a fantastic organization to give back to not only during the holiday season, but year-round.

THON is a student-run philanthropy here at Penn State! It’s one of the universities oldest traditions, and students put in their all when it comes to raising money for the kids. This organizations mission is to provide financial support to families who have experienced childhood cancer, as well as help fund research with the efforts of finding a cure.

THON has raised more than $200 million for Four Diamonds, and just a little more than $15 million in 2023!

Overall, the holiday is season is the perfect time to give back to those in need. The world needs a lot more love and positivity during the holidays and it all starts with you!

Allie is a PSU student studying Public Relations & minoring in Recreation, Parks & Tourism Management. In her free time she enjoys listening to music, traveling, reading, and painting!