This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PSU chapter.

It is finally everyone’s favorite time of year. The holiday season is exactly what we all needed to end 2020 on a good note. Some Christmas cheer is definitely necessary to lighten up a very different dull year for everyone. No matter what holiday you celebrate, there is always a movie that fits everyone’s personal needs. 

One of my personal favorite things to do when I am home for winter break is binge watch any movie on Netflix, Disney Plus or HBO. Watching movies is the perfect pastime with family and friends that can be done both remotely or socially distanced as well. The movie theaters used to be one of my favorite ways to spend time with my mom. Since we are not ready to go back to the theaters just yet, we like to plan nights specifically just for movie themes. 

I have put together a list of my favorite Christmas movies that I have already watched this year. Some movies are new and some are old. Each is a staple for anyone this Christmas season.

The Grinch

This is probably my newest favorite Christmas movie. The 2018 version of this cartoon film can make anyone any age have a good laugh and a good cry. The music is upbeat and appealing to anyone. The story line changes have made a great impact on the emotional appeal for everyone.

Elf

This is a Christmas classic that I am sure everyone has watched before. This is a funny and family friendly movie. The story is perfect for children. This has been a favorite movie of mine since I was a kid.

Holidate

This is another recent favorite of mine that has just been released through Netflix. Emma Roberts stars in this romantic comedy revolving around each holiday and the pressure she has to find a date to bring to her family. She finds someone to take place as her guaranteed holiday date with no strings attached.

A Christmas Prince

This is a romantic holiday film about an American falling in love with a prince. There are three total movies released on Netflix that follow them through their relationship journey. This is a great series to watch with your family as there is both humor, love and mystery combined in one.

The Princess Switch

Another romantic christmas movie made by Netflix that has become everyone’s favorite film. Vanessa Hudgens, a famous actress that is recognized by most, plays the role in this film of two look-alikes who switch lives for the day. There is even a second film that was recently released as well. 

Happy watching Collegiettes and Happy Holidays!

I am a Junior at Penn State studying Public Relations with a minor in Digital Media Trends and Analytics. I love fashion, food, and anything beauty-related which can be found a common trend throughout my articles.
Arden Ericson will graduate Penn State in May of 2023. As one of the Campus Correspondents for Her Campus at PSU, she is a double-major in Public Relations and French Language. After graduation, she will pursue a career that combines her passion for educational equity, social justice and French.