This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PSU chapter.

The 2020 presidential election is approaching rapidly, which means it is time for Americans to exercise their right to vote. Even though all Americans can vote, not all do — which seems to especially reflect on a certain group of people. 

In 2016, 63 percent of women who were eligible to vote voted. As for the men? Only 59 percent voted, according to the Pew Research Center. With the 2020 election at hand, politicians need to make sure they are not discarding women’s opinions on hot-topic issues.

Studies find that although most Americans agree that voting is one of the most essential, important human rights to have, close to half the population of America that can vote doesn’t. 

But, why do women tend to vote more than men?

Photo by cottonbro from Pexels

Firstly, women are more likely to be impacted by government rulings than men, due to an overwhelming feminization of poverty. 

Nationwide, women’s suffrage has been a long and perilous legal battleground to obtain equal footing in the United States. However, women have always had a disadvantage. In the U.S. alone, women experience poverty at a 38 percent higher rate than men, according to the U.S. census bureau.

Therefore, they are more reliant on food stamps and child care procedures, according to The Washington Post. 

Secondly, many women feel very strongly about abortion and reproductive rights. Abortion has been a very controversial topic in the United States. There are those who believe that an unborn fetus has the right to life, and those that believe that a woman should make her own choices about her body. 

Statistics show, overall, women are more likely to be pro-choice than men, according to the Pew Research Center. Many women feel as though in trying to take away abortion rights, the government is overstepping its boundaries by telling women what to do with their bodies. 

Those whose rights are being affected may have more of a reason to vote than those who are not being directly affected by such issues. 

Recently, certain parties have made moves to try and overturn Roe v. Wade. This is a decision that would impact women nationwide. Recently, the death of Supreme Court Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg has prompted republicans to quickly appoint Amy Coney Barrett. 

Barrett is known for her pro-life views and opinions that could negatively affect the LGBTQ community. With an overwhelmingly conservative supreme court, there is a chance Roe v. Wade could be overturned. 

Amy Coney Barrett confirmation
Official White House Photo by Shealah Craighead distributed under Public Domain Mark 1.0 license

Women are acknowledging this change. As a result, protests have been on the news due to Barrett’s nomination. It would seem that the Supreme Court may have plans to ban abortion from the United States.

Women are aware of this and will be making their way to the polls for the 2020 election.
Meghan Heister is a Sophomore at Penn State University Park. She loves creative writing and spending time with friends. She writes articles for Her Campus mainly about news and issues affecting women, and friendship.
Arden Ericson will graduate Penn State in May of 2023. As one of the Campus Correspondents for Her Campus at PSU, she is a double-major in Public Relations and French Language. After graduation, she will pursue a career that combines her passion for educational equity, social justice and French.