This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PSU chapter.

“The Devil Wears Prada” is probably one of the most influential movies of our time, and this is something that I will go to my grave arguing. Ever since I was a little kid, something about this film always resonated with me. Maybe it was Andy’s makeover scene, which is nothing short of a cinematic masterpiece. Maybe it was her trip to Paris for Fashion Week, experiencing the city for the first time. As most of you know though, “The Devil Wears Prada” isn’t all sunshine and rainbows for Andy. She goes through some tough times that serve as important teaching moments for any woman as she ventures into the real word. 

Here are some of my biggest takeaways from the film: 

NEVER let a boy get in the way of your career. 

I don’t think it’s an understatement to say that Nate is the absolute WORST character in this entire movie. He’s constantly whining about Andy being late or missing things because of her job, even though she can’t help it. Not only that, but she’s told him she needs to hustle now so it can pay off in the long-run. He’s insecure because of her success and is intimidated by how quickly she excels at her job. Ladies, if a man is ever holding you back, or making you feel bad for making your career a priority, LEAVE HIM. 

Take chances on things

Andy didn’t know a thing about fashion the day she walked into Runway (which was pretty obvious from her outfit choice). In the brief encounter she had with Miranda, she was absolutely terrifying. Regardless, when she landed the job, she didn’t let doubt or fear stop her- and it paid off. 

You don’t need to “fit in” to be good at your job 

Even after Andy gives her wardrobe a major upgrade, she still doesn’t really “fit in” at Runway. She’s not obsessed with clothes or parties, and doesn’t think that she needs to starve herself to look good. Emily and Nigel may poke fun at her for it, but she proves that you don’t need to be a carbon copy of the industry to succeed within it. 

At the end of the day, look out for yourself first- because that’s what everyone else is doing 

One of the most shocking parts of the film is what goes down in Paris (I won’t spoil it for those of you who haven’t seen it). It made me realize that you need to have your back before anyone else’s when it comes to the work world. This sounds harsh, but people are selfish. They will do whatever they can to stay on top, even if it means hurting a friend. Andy didn’t want to be part of this kind of world, but I think this is universal across all jobs. Make sure that you’re taking care of yourself, but also try not to hurt others in the process. 

Don’t burn bridges with people 

You never know when you’ll run into someone later in life. Try to end on good terms with people. Even though Andy and Miranda part their ways in the end, Andy left a good impression on the Chief Editor, and it paid off when she was looking for her next job. 

Clothes aren’t everything- but they can make you more confident 

A new outfit won’t change who you are, but it might make you feel better about yourself. As Andy’s outfits get trendier throughout the movie, you can tell that she is more confident in her appearance, something she practically ignores in the beginning of the film. Sometimes feeling good on the outside can help you feel good on the inside too. 

“The Devil Wears Prada” is about so much more than some girl working in fashion. It’s about the glamour that comes with working in New York City, and the not-so-glamorous realities that come with working in the professional world. 

As Miranda Priestly would say, 

“That’s all.”

Rachel Darata is a junior at Penn State majoring in Telecommunications aiming to get a Smeal College of Business Fundamentals Certificate.
Arden Ericson will graduate Penn State in May of 2023. As one of the Campus Correspondents for Her Campus at PSU, she is a double-major in Public Relations and French Language. After graduation, she will pursue a career that combines her passion for educational equity, social justice and French.