Vagina Monologues Directors, Becky Guldin & Stephanie Wain

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PSU chapter.

Name: Becky Guldin
Year: Junior
Major: Public relations/Women’s studies
Hometown: Jonestown, PA

Name: Stephanie Wain
Year: Junior
Major: Film & Video/Women’s studies
Hometown: Bangor, PA

HC: How did the Vagina Monologues begin?

Becky: The Vagina Monologues are a collection of interviews-turned-monologues by Eve Ensler. They touch on issues like sexuality, awkward experiences, youth, and many more, but mainly concentrate on domestic and sexual violence.

Stephanie: Eve Ensler wrote them and they were first performed in 1996. Eve interviewed over 200 women in several countries around the world and collected stories dealing with domestic violence and sexual assault.

HC: Why are you involved? How did you get involved?

Becky: I was fortunate to be involved in last year’s production. I was the Six-Year-Old Girl and Vibrator Fact. I knew that The Vagina Monologues were controversial and edgy, so I decided to audition spur of the moment. I am so glad I did because it sparked my activism in work with victim-survivors of domestic and sexual violence.

Stephanie: I did it last year and Becky Guldin and I decided to direct them this year. I do it for my sisters and the women in my life who not only deserve better, but deserve a platform where their stories can be heard. 

HC: If girls can get anything out of attending the Vagina Monologues,
what do you hope they take away from it?

Becky: I hope that everyone who sees our show will leave feeling empowered, informed, and enlightened. Violence against women is not just a women’s issue. It is a global issue that needs attention from everyone regardless of race, religion, origin, sexual orientation, or gender.

Stephanie: Empowerment. A sense that their stories are being shared through this play and that they are not alone in their struggles. 

HC: What are the other events you do to promote the Vagina Monologues?

Becky: We orchestrated a flash mob to Lady Gaga’s “Born This Way” to raise awareness for One Billion Rising (http://youtu.be/yjONsz9Jv4s) on Valentine’s Day, or V-Day, as Eve Ensler calls it. The V stands for victory, vagina, and valentine. OBR is Eve Ensler’s non-profit that raises awareness that one in three women around the world will be raped or battered in her lifetime. 

Stephanie: We had a flash mob in the hub, a commercial, we’ve spoken on radio shows, created flyers and pamphlets, t-shirts and we’ve spammed the shit out of everyone we know. 

HC: How do you explain the Vagina Monologues to people who may feel
uncomfortable or confused by the concept?

Becky: The Vagina Monologues are definitely unique. Though it is shocking and bold, it is absolutely an experience that everyone should have at least once in their life. Where else can you have a conversation about such difficult topics? The show is really about violence against women, something that everyone should learn about because it is so prevalent in our society. Chances are you know someone who has been directly affected.

Stephanie: I explain to them that it’s an opportunity to understand people from all walks of life, and most importantly support women who have experienced very traumatic events. It is a quick way to understand and empathize with people who are very different, yet quite similar to yourself and other people you may know. 

HC: is there a website to learn more?

Becky: Check out vday.org or onebillionrising.org for more information.

Stephanie: http://www.vday.org/about/more-about/eveensler

Come out and support the Vagina Monologues this weekend!

Vagina Monologues Facebook page

Vagina Monologues Facebook event

February 22, 23, & 24

8pm
105 Forum
Admission is free!
Donations benefit the Centre County Women’s Resource Center

Warning: This show contains explicit material. It may also contain triggers for anyone who has experienced sexual or domestic violence.

Maddie is a junior at Penn State pursuing a major in Public Relations with a minor in Business. She is from Timonium, MD. She loves all things pop culture and hopes to pursue a career in the entertainment industry.