This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PSU chapter.

No one can deny that the 2020 election was closer than either side would care to admit. 

In the days following Nov. 3, the nation waited anxiously to hear news about which way the swing states — in which the election depended on — would side, including Pennsylvania, Nevada, Arizona, Georgia, and Michigan. Later, the election was called for Joe Biden, making him president-elect for the 2020 election, and one of the few U.S. presidential candidates to ever defeat an incumbent president.

However, despite Biden getting the electoral college majority, President Donald Trump has claimed he’s won the election in a tweetstorm. On Nov. 7, Trump tweeted, “I WON THIS ELECTION, BY A LOT!” This was just one in a series of tweets that Twitter has fact checked, claiming that misinformation was being spread. 

Furthermore, Trump has challenged the election results by claiming that mail-in ballots are rigged with fraud. Earlier in the year, Trump questioned the legitimacy of absentee ballots and voting by mail, claiming that it resulted in voter fraud. Twitter fact-checked this as well, which has led to an ongoing debate about whether or not voting by mail is safe and secure.

Recently, Trump has decided to take things a step further by moving forward with lawsuits. His administration has been under fire by  the media for not accepting the results and stepping down as many think he should. 

According to AP news, “GOP lawyers had already launched legal challenges involving absentee votes in Pennsylvania and Nevada, contesting local decisions that could take on national significance in the close election.” 

It is true that the election was very close, but many have debated if a recount is necessary or not. The Trump campaign has made a number of accusations about voter fraud, including accusations about votes being thrown out, dead people voting, and votes coming in after the election. With lawsuits arising, The Supreme Court has become involved. 

Considering that America has a conservative majority in the Supreme Court, many Democrats have raised concerns around the Trump administration getting that far. 

AP news cites, “The Trump campaign also is seeking to intervene in a Pennsylvania case at the Supreme Court that deals with whether ballots received up to three days after the election can be counted.” 

However, attempts so far have been unsuccessful. The Supreme Court and state courts have already thrown out dozens of cases filed by Trump. 

“The new filings, joining existing Republican legal challenges in Pennsylvania and Nevada, demand better access for campaign observers to locations where ballots are being processed and counted, and raise absentee ballot concerns,” the campaign said according to AP news.

Top officials have strayed from Trump’s accusations. The Department of Homeland Security claims that there is no evidence of voter fraud and the 2020 election was the most secure in American history, according to Business Insider. 

Regardless, people are still protesting the election results. On Nov. 15, at least 20 protesters were arrested for violence at a Republican rally protesting election results in Washington, where “thousands of Trump supporters gathered earlier in the day to protest the result of the presidential race, marching in the afternoon from Freedom Plaza to the Supreme Court,” according to NBC news. 

It was unclear whether those arrested were pro or anti-trump, but a fight between the two groups broke out, leaving at least one person in critical condition. 

If America can not agree on election results, then there may be a chance of violence in the future.

Meghan Heister is a Sophomore at Penn State University Park. She loves creative writing and spending time with friends. She writes articles for Her Campus mainly about news and issues affecting women, and friendship.
Arden Ericson will graduate Penn State in May of 2023. As one of the Campus Correspondents for Her Campus at PSU, she is a double-major in Public Relations and French Language. After graduation, she will pursue a career that combines her passion for educational equity, social justice and French.