Trashy vs. Classy in State College

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PSU chapter.

Have you ever walked passed a girl and instinctively glanced at her outfit as you thought to yourself, “gosh, what was she thinking when she put that on?” It is a natural and reoccurring habit for many fashionistas because we are astonished by the shameless girl strutting down the sidewalk in who-knows-what. It is not so much embarrassment that we feel for her, as she struts confidently, but horror at the sight of her. Some girls on campus have their style down-path, while others could use a little work. That is why HCPSU is here to help.

First if you are ever unsure about an outfit—and even your roommates advice might not be adequate—snap a picture of yourself. If your top or dress looks see-through, change it. You will quickly learn that every camera utilized that night has not only snapped a picture of your cute shoes, but also your bra. Taking a picture of yourself before the party will help you steer clear of this catastrophe.

Secondly, we all know it is essential to put on a figure-hugging mini dress that shows off our legs or a bandage skirt that smooth’s out any unpleasant bumps once in a while, but do yourself a favor and practice bending down in the mirror before you step out. You can even bust a few moves in your room to see how high your skirt rides up! If it moves too much, try wearing a pair of Spanx or shorts under your outfit for a promising night of fun.

Lastly, avoid orange tans at all costs. This is one beauty mistake most girls have made and either still cringe at the thought of, or have never learned from it. Looking sun kissed year round would be a miracle here in Happy Valley, but burnt or orange might you just scaring away a potential date away. If you are going to tan, a spray tan is the best option. Let me remind you that just because you’re one shade darker then a pale complexion does not mean you can get, or should want, the highest-level. If a spray tan is too pricey for your budget, keep in mind the many brilliant self-tanners out there.
I suggest trying Victoria Secret’s Sunkissed Bronze Instant Self Tan Lotion with Tint or L’Oreal Sublime Glow for the Body. When getting ready to look like a bronze goddess aim to look like natura like Selena Gomez.

We wants to make sure our Penn State ladies are presenting themselves in a fashionable and classy manner, not trashy. In case you need a few more tips and examples check out our Classy vs. Trashy categories below to avoid falling into the trashy category.

Classy: crop tops that show just enough.          Trashy: crop tops that show too much
Classy: one statement animal print item          Trashy: head-to-toe animal pri
Classy: a healthy bronze tan                                Trashy: a fake uneven tan
Classy: platform heels                                           Trashy: platforms that will send you to the hospital
Classy: a little black dress                                    Trashy: a skin tight leather little black dress