Top 10 Books to Read to Prepare for Sad Girl Autumn

The Her Campus National Editors write about products we love and think you’ll love too. Her Campus has affiliate partnerships, so we get a share of the revenue from your purchase. All products are in stock and all prices are accurate as of publication.

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PSU chapter.

With fall in full-swing, it’s time to add “All Too Well (Sad Girl Autumn Version)- Recorded at Long Pond Studios” by Taylor Swift to your playlist, grab your Pumpkin Spice Latte and curl up with a good book to get you in ready for the season.

Listed below are the top ten books that, in my opinion, will get you into that perfect fall mood:

“hOUSE OF eARTH AND bLOOD (cRESCENT cITY #1)” BY sARAH j. maas

This book is perfect for all fantasy lovers out there. This book follows Bryce Quinlan, who up until the murder of her friends, had the perfect life.

As she searches for answers with imprisoned fallen angel Hunt Athalar, Quinlan dives into Crescent City– while discovering dark power and secrets she never expected.

In true Sarah J. Maas fashion, this book includes an intricate fantasy world with a myriad of creatures, a romance where you have no idea where it’s headed and an ending that will leave you in tears. 

“The great gatsby” by F. SCOTT FITZGERALD

Would it truly be fall if Gatsby didn’t frustrate us, Daisy didn’t anger us or we didn’t feel as extremely uncomfortable as Nick for most of the novel? No, probably not.

This book takes you on a roller coaster of emotions (much like sad girl fall!) and must be read just as leaves begin to fall off of trees. One can never relive the tragic story of Gatsby too many times. “The Great Gatsby” also serves as a reminder that sometimes, the person you love most, may not deserve it.

P.S.: Don’t be a “beautiful little fool,” as Daisy would say– listen to “happiness” by Taylor Swift while reading.

“pride and prejudice” by jane austen

The romance novel that inspired the immaculate enemies-to-lovers trope is a must read (or re-read) to get you into the autumn mood.

Iconic heroine Elizabeth Bennet inspires millions of readers with her strong personality and strong sense of morality. Of course, one cannot forget the swoon-worthy Mr. Darcy, and his infatuation with the maddening Bennet girl he just can’t seem to get his mind off of. 

“Pride and Prejudice” may give us readers unrealistic expectations, but one can never resist the powerful love story of Mr. Darcy and Miss Elizabeth Bennet.

“November 9” by colleen hoover

Would it truly be a book list if Colleen Hoover wasn’t on it?

The author currently sweeping the romance world by storm delivers this heartbreaking novel of right-person-wrong-time, and how our actions have consequences far beyond what meets the eye. This romance takes place over the course of five years, and follows Ben and Fallon who seemingly battle with fates’ plan for them. 

A walk to remember” by nicholas sparks

A staple in literary romance, “A Walk to Remember” follows high school student Landon grappling with impending adulthood. Meanwhile he falls in love with Jamie, the high school outcast.

This novel tells the tale of growing up and facing problems that sometimes can’t end with a happily ever after after all.

“Jane Eyre” by Charlotte brontë

Can one resist the haunting backdrop of Thornfield Hall that serves the perfect fall vibes? Not possible.

This novel follows arguably the most groundbreaking female literary character, Jane Eyre.  After Jane’s traumatic childhood, she receives an opportunity to work as a governess for a young child.

She then meets the child’s guardian, Mr. Edward Rochester, and immediately forms a strong connection with him. 

Both Jane and Mr. Rochester find it hard to stay away from each other. However, will Mr. Rochesters past burn any possibility of a future at Thornfield? 

“Book lovers” by emily Henry

Though this book takes place in the summer, the new beginning vibes in this book scream autumn. 

This novel follows Nora Stephens, a strong-willed successful literary agent, and her determination to give her younger sister a good summer. As she vacations in Sunshine Falls, North Carolina, Nora coincidently runs into Charlie Lastra, a brooding editor from back home in New York City.

The two reconnect, and form a strong bond. However, will their own internal demons threaten to stand in their way of that elusive happy ending?

I recommend having “folklore” by Taylor Swift on shuffle when reading this book to receive the full effect of “Book Lovers.”

“Bringing down the duke” by evie dunmore

This book is the perfect historical feminist romance that will leave you wanting more. 

Our heroine Annabelle Archer receives the opportunity to attend the University of Oxford as part of a handful of newly accepted female students. Annabelle also joins the women’s suffrage movement, where she is entrusted to garner the support of the strait-laced and powerful Duke of Montgomery.

Upon meeting, Annabelle and the Duke form are immediately infatuated with each other. However, this infatuation threatens Annabelle’s status within the University and the Duke’s image.

In a world where class and wealth matter, can these two overcome societal expectations and have their happy ending?

“New moon” by stephanie meyer

Arguably the best book in “The Twilight Saga,” “New Moon” provides all that teenage angst and heartbreak necessary for sad girl autumn. It would be prudent to read the first book in the series, “Twilight,” before starting “New Moon.”

I recommend reading “New Moon” while listening to the movies soundtrack– it sets a perfect atmosphere.

“Normal people” by sally rooney

You didn’t think I would forget the Sad Girl Autumn manual, did you?

Marianne and Connell’s complicated relationship told over the course of years is arguably the epitome of heartbreak. As they evolve from high school to university, these two struggle to maintain their romantic relationship, as well as come to terms with their feelings and mental health.

I recommend finding a comfy spot to read this one, as it’s hard to put down once you pick it up.

Hope you packed tissues and happy reading!

Chelsea Nakhleh is a sophomore at Penn State University studying digital print journalism.