This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PSU chapter.

I recently found myself with more free time than usual, and saw it as a perfect opportunity to catch up on some leisure reading. In middle school I used to be such a big reader — my friends and I even created a little book club. However, as I have gotten older and my responsibilities have grown, reading has fallen to the backburner. 

The biggest challenge in getting back into the reading game is picking the right book. I’m fond of both mysteries and true crime, so I decided that would be the best place to start. Though not all of these are pure literary works of art, they will do the trick if you are bored and need a little bit of excitement. 

Here are a couple of my favorites true crime novels — perfect for keeping you busy and invested.

“Silent Patient” By Alex Michaelides

This needs to be at the top of your “to read” list. Not only did I read this book in only three days, but I made all of my friends and family read it too. This psychological true crime novel follows a troubled artist who was found by police with her husband — who had been shot dead. 

It remains a mystery who committed this crime, however, because the main character takes a vow of silence for the next six years. The plot revolves around a psychologist who believes he can get the woman to talk, while their alternating perspectives give us a closer look into the night leading up to the murder as well as the artist’s present-day state of mind. If that didn’t sell you enough, the twist at the end will make you rethink the whole book.

“Gone Girl” By Gillian Flynn

If you have not already read this one, you’ve likely seen the well known movie with Ben Affleck. Unpopular opinion, but I do believe the book was so much better than its on-screen adaptation, though who doesn’t love to see Neil Patrick Harris play a serious role. 

The book follows a husband whose wife mysteriously disappears, but he’s smart enough to know that there is more to the story. For those looking to peek into the mind of a psychologically manipulative wife and a cheating husband — look no further. 

“The Woman in Cabin 10” By Ruth Ware

Similar to “Murder on the Oriental Express,” this book is full of twists and turns. The story surrounds a young writer who gets the chance to take a luxury cruise after experiencing a traumatic break-in at her home. 

She begins to think she is losing her mind when she believes she witnessed a murder of someone whom everyone else seems to forget exists. You will definitely start to draw some of your own conclusions, but don’t be too confident. Ware does a great job of keeping you guessing.

“Sharp Objects” By Gillian Flynn

I am the kind of person who loves to read follow up books by authors whose work I already know and love. I chose this novel because of Flynn’s other smash hit “Gone Girl.” Though this particular book was not as intricate, it still came with an unexpected twist. 

The plot follows a newspaper writer who returns to her hometown to report on local murders. She deals with the small town she left behind and learns more about the people she thought she knew everything about. 

“The Dark, Dark, Wood” By Ruth Ware

If you are looking for a book that will keep you guessing, this is the one for you. The story follows a young woman who is invited to an old friend’s bachelorette party, though they have a mysterious past. 

There are alternating timelines between the present and a future accident that will leave you to piece together the course of events. You will feel like a detective trying to figure who is telling the truth. I would definitely recommend sticking with it because although the beginning is a little bit slow, you will not be able to put it down towards the end.

Happy reading, collegiates! 

Current Senior at PSU UP. I live right outside of DC in Bethesda, MD and I am on track to be an Advertising and Public Relations major with a minor in Business I love sitcoms, stand-up and spend my time hanging out with friends and traveling.
Arden Ericson will graduate Penn State in May of 2023. As one of the Campus Correspondents for Her Campus at PSU, she is a double-major in Public Relations and French Language. After graduation, she will pursue a career that combines her passion for educational equity, social justice and French.