Top 10 Rom-Coms for Your Next Movie Night

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PSU chapter.

Here are ten movies to get you through the rest of the semester. Good luck, collegiettes!

1. Friends With Benefits

This movie stars Justin Timberlake and Mila Kunis, who meet in NYC and become close friends. After starting a friends-with-benefits deal, they start to develop feelings for one another. Trying to deny it only brings them closer in the end.

2. What If

What If is about Wallace, a med school dropout who quickly falls for his new friend, Chantry – who sadly has a boyfriend. This movie focuses on struggling with emotions when the person you fall for is taken, as well as the relationships that form around you.

3. Sleeping With Other People

This is another film centered around trying to maintain a platonic relationship with a mutual attraction. Twelve years after their one-night-stand, will Jake and Lainey be friends – or something more?

4. The Proposal

After being told she’s about to be deported back to Canada, Margaret Tate comes up with a plan. As a powerhouse CEO, she sets herself up to marry her assistant Andrew Paxton in order to save her citizenship. Things get complicated when the families get involved. 

5. 10 Things I Hate About You

Look, this movie is a classic – enough said. If you want to laugh and cry and look at a young Heath Ledger, then just watch this movie.

6. The Big Sick

This movie is about a Pakistani comedian who meets anA American grad student at one of his shows. As their relationship grows, he worries how his traditional Muslim parents will feel. However, when she becomes sick, he develops a deep and loving relationship with the girl’s parents.  

7. How To Lose a Guy In 10 Days

Writer Andie Anderson wants to create a piece on how to get a guy to dump you in ten days. While looking for someone to test out her theories on, she finds Ben Berry. Ben is in a similar state, where he’s so confident in his abilities with woman he believes he can get a woman to fall in love with him in ten days.

8. Crazy, Stupid, Love

Cal Weaver has been married for twenty years and has the picture-perfect American family. That is, until he finds out his wife has been cheating and wants a divorce. Now, for the first time since his teens, he’s in the dating field. That’s when he meets Jacob Palmer, a successful player who takes him under his wing and teaches him how to rule the dating world.

9. Bridesmaids

Bridesmaids is about a group of unlikely woman coming together for their friend’s wedding. When two women battle it out to be the favorite of the bride, things get messy.

10. La La Land

One of the more recent films on this list, but still a movie that can make you feel something. Mia and Sebastian meet in the chaos of Hollywood, as two performers trying to make their way in the world – but also maintain a love life. This movie takes you back to the Golden Age of Hollywood and a traditional-style American musical.

Hope is currently a sophomore at Pennsylvania State University, where she is majoring in Media Studies and minoring in Theatre.
Allie Maniglia served as the Campus Correspondent for Her Campus at Penn State from 2017-2018. She majored in public relations with minors in international studies and communication arts and sciences. If she's not busy writing away, you can find her planning her next adventure (probably back to the U.K.), feeding an unhealthy addiction to HGTV or watching dog videos on YouTube.