Top 10 Movies and Specials for the Holiday Season

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PSU chapter.

Whether you celebrate Christmas, Hanukkah, Kwanza or something else, we can all agree that the movies this time of year are the best. Not only are they funny, they often they have the best messages for parents to teach to their children. What better way to learn than with the classic holiday films? Today we count down the best movies for this festive time of the year. You’re going to be laughing all the way with these films.

1. Elf (2003)

Need I say more? We all need a little Buddy the Elf in our lives during this hectic holiday season, and his amount of Christmas cheer is the best thing we could ever have.

2. How the Grinch Stole Christmas (1966 TV Special)

This is fifty years old. Talk about a classic Christmas special! This is a must-watch for anyone during the holiday season. It’s not only about Christmas, it teaches us the real value of the holidays. It’s not about packages, boxes or bags; it’s about family and being together during this special time.

3. Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer (1964 TV Special)

I have always been a huge fan of stop-motion films. It’s what got me into film in the first place. Rudolph holds a very special place in my heart because it’s the first stop-motion movie I ever saw, and now it’s one of my all time favorite Christmas specials.

4. A Charlie Brown Christmas (1965 TV Special)

This is another family favorite of mine. You can’t have Christmas without the Peanuts gang and Snoopy teaching you the real meaning behind it all.

5. A Christmas Story (1983)

There isn’t a channel on Christmas day that won’t play this classic Christmas film. If you’ve never seen it, watch it. It’s totally worth the corny 80’s culture.

6. Home Alone (1990)

Alright, maybe Kevin McCallister was a little bit psycho, but none of us can deny that when it’s Christmas time, you need to watch this movie at least once. The scene of them breaking into the house alone is worth the whole movie. Besides, who doesn’t want to see robbers get what they deserve?

7. Home Alone 2 (1992)

It’s the same movie, but in New York during Christmas time. Those words are enough to make anyone watch this film. Plus, Tim Curry’s in it. Like, how can you not watch this? Have a lovely day!

8. It’s A Wonderful Life (1946)

This is by far one of my favorite Christmas movies. It’s just so simple in its theme — be thankful for what you have — and it’s not even completely about Christmas. It’s so subtle and a must-watch for any Christmas fanatic.

9. The Polar Express (2004)

Talk about a beautiful film. I remember watching this as a little girl, and I will continue to watch it for years to come. It has a nice message, superb animation and is great for Christmas. Plus, it has Tom Hanks in it. What else do you need?

10. Miracle on 34th Street (1947)

No one is ever too old for Santa Claus, and no one is ever too old for this movie. Considered the ultimate Christmas classic, this is film that is an absolute must during Christmas time. Do you believe in Santa?

Happy watching, Merry Christmas to all, and to all a goodnight!

Photo Credit: 1

Alexandra is a senior at Penn State majoring in Digital-Print Journalism in the College of Communications. She is the assistant editor for Her Campus and loves everything else PSU has to offer her. She is involved with the Onward State, and would like to somehow benefit THON. Alex loves to write, sing, bake, and dance around like no one is watching. Alex is known to love her animals, including her cat, Grace, who isa little devil at the same time. Oh, and pizza. She loves pizza like it's her world. Follow her on Instagram for her craziness: allieramos1698
      Meghan Maffey graduated from the Pennslyvania State University in the Spring of 2017. She graduated with a degree in Broadcast Journalism and a minor in English.