This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PSU chapter.

I went to Cancun for my spring break this year, and I had so much fun! It was an incredible experience with my friends and I definitely learned for next year what I should and should not do. Here are my tips for your next spring break trip:

1. Go with a big group

Spring break can be crazy, especially depending on where you go. If you go somewhere out of the country, sometimes it can be dangerous and it can be hard to meet new people! I went in a big group with my girlfriends and guy friends and realized it was more fun going in a big group.  It’s easier to all stick together and have a better time.

2. Drink water

From personal experience, I realized that after all of the swimming, eating, and drinking you might be doing on your trip, you might forget to do the simple things to take care of yourself, like drink water. Definitely if you’re going somewhere warm, bring a bottle of water wherever you go and you’ll stay hydrated the whole trip.  

3. Plan ahead

As a big event planner myself, I always plan ahead. It’s very helpful to know what you’re walking into before you get to your resort. You should definitely research what to do around the resort before you get there so you can book special side trips and other things before they get sold out! There are plenty of things to book ahead of time that could be sold out when you arrive.  Maybe there’s a cool cruise during the day or a concert or pool party at night! It’s much easier to have plans ahead so you know you’re not missing out on any fun extra things!

4. Learn the culture

If you’re going somewhere foreign, it’s always good to know some of the language before arriving. At least knowing “hello,” “goodbye,” and “thank you” are good. Maybe know how to say “bathroom” and “water” too just for an emergency!

5. Stick together

Always stick with your friends on spring break. Wherever you are, you’re probably somewhere you’ve never been before. That obviously means you don’t know your way around! Have a buddy so you never get lost – at least by yourself.

Grace Catlett is a senior at Penn State University where she is pursuing a Public Relations major with a minor in Recreation, Parks, and Tourism Management. Since her freshman year, she has been very involved with her sorority, Delta Gamma. She was the director of social events for Delta Gamma and loves event planning! While she loves social media and public relations, her dream job is to become a wedding planner. She also loves fashion and is a TV show enthusiast.
Allie Maniglia served as the Campus Correspondent for Her Campus at Penn State from 2017-2018. She majored in public relations with minors in international studies and communication arts and sciences. If she's not busy writing away, you can find her planning her next adventure (probably back to the U.K.), feeding an unhealthy addiction to HGTV or watching dog videos on YouTube.