This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PSU chapter.

As a college student, I know how daunting it is to start applying to internships. It seems as though everyone around you is getting interviews and offers and you’re starting to feel a little left behind or in the dark. If you haven’t even made a resume yet, don’t worry! Here are some tips to help you start taking steps in the right direction.

Plan ahead

Take some time to make a schedule for yourself. You’re not going to get everything done in one day, so spread it out. Make deadlines for little things like “finish this section of your resume by Thursday,” or “finish application by Monday” on a calendar, planner, post-it note, whatever is convenient for you. Take some time to explore your options instead of rushing into applying to places you have never heard of.

take it one step at a time

It can be stressful when you feel like you have so much to do to apply for one job or internship. Like I stated in the previous paragraph, plan ahead and take it step by step. One day draft a cover letter. A few days later, update your resume. The next week, search for job postings and if you find one, see if there is anything else you need to do to apply. For example, some applications require additional essays or work samples. I found that the scariest part of the process was starting it. Once you get started, the rest will come, I promise.

Research the companies you are applying for

There are so many places looking to hire new interns, even if you have no previous experience, there is a job for you out there somewhere. By using websites like indeed.com and LinkedIn, you can find so many openings geared toward what you want to do by simply typing it into the search bar. Once you find a company you want to apply to, dig a little deeper to find some facts on it. In case you get an interview with a particular company, you want to appear to know what you are talking about, and by doing your research, you can relate yourself more to the company’s values.

Have multiple people look over your application materials

Once you have a resume typed out, it is important that someone at least proof-reads it for possible errors. Having a couple of friends or even your parents look over these documents can really benefit you in the long run. A lot of schools even have resume and cover letter workshops you could go to and even volunteers to go over your documents with you. Like I said before, do your research! Find out what resources your school has to offer.

talk to your professors

As a journalism major myself, a lot of my professors worked in the field before coming to Penn State to teach. By getting to know them through office hours or seeing them after class, they might be able to put in a good word for you with their previous employers, you never know!

attend a career fair

I know Penn State has tons of career fairs every year, even a couple in the spring, so you have time to prepare. This way, you get to meet the companies face to face before applying, and a representative gets to know you. When reviewing your potential application for an internship position, you will be a better candidate overall because that representative will be able to put a face and a personality to a submission.

I am a Penn State University student majoring in Journalism. I will be graduating in 2023.