This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PSU chapter.

Masks are a mandatory accessory nowadays, and for those who enjoy and appreciate makeup, this has been difficult. 

You can’t see half of someone’s makeup look, losing a huge dimension of expressivity that comes from makeup for many of us. When you do use makeup, residue can now transfer onto your mask. This leaves it dirty and leads to the horror that is…mascne — acne from a mask. 

Never fear — there are plenty of ways to bring these troubles down to a minimum. Here are some mask makeup tips and suggestions to let you continue to show your beautiful makeup looks. 

Find a good primer.

The best way to avoid transfer of makeup onto your mask is to set your face with a sticky primer that will not let your makeup smear. Makeup transfer results in product buildup and germ buildup as well. 

Keep your mask clean so you can keep your face clean. Some primers I have heard are amazing for this are the Milk Makeup Hydro Grip Primer and the new All Nighter primer from Urban Decay.

Eyeliner/Eyeshadow

Photo by Anderson Guerra from Pexels

Eyes are like windows to the soul — and there’s no debate about this now that it’s one of the only things we can use to understand how someone is reacting nowadays. 

I personally have been enjoying eyeliner looks — ranging from a subtle glitter liner to a color-adding pastel liner — while keeping things casual. 

I really recommend any of the NYX eyeliners. They range from around $5-$7 and work wonderfully for the price. I also really love the Huda Beauty glitter eyeshadow duo, which is available here

It’s super pigmented and works for me as both an eyeshadow and a liner. Lots of makeup artists, like @mikaylanogueira on TikTok, are working with the mask situation and showing off absolutely gorgeous eyeshadow looks!

Mascara

My lashes are my favorite part of any makeup look. I am more of a natural makeup leaning person, but I love more dramatic mascaras and the appearance of volumized lashes. 

My favorite mascaras are Milk makeup’s “Kush” mascara, L’oreal’s “Lash Paradise” mascara, and Too-Faced’s “Better than Sex” Waterproof mascara.

Highlighter

The cheekbones are one of the only other places visible now, so you might as well emphasize it with some highlighter. Some of my favorites are any of the Ofra highlighters. They’re a bit pricey, but if you are looking to splurge, this would be the product.

If you are looking for a cheaper option, Physician’s Formula has some that smell insanely good.

Brows

Glossier

Brows are always a major part of any look, although they can sometimes be overlooked. 

There are many trends focusing on brows now — like the effortlessly, natural yet beautiful, feathered eyebrow look. People are also enjoying the soap brow look, which uses soap, some water and a clean mascara wand to make your lashes stay groomed all day. 

There are also great bold brow looks. I have seen colored brows that deviate from the norm and do so gorgeously.

I am currently a Junior at Penn State studying Biobehavioral Health. Besides school and writing for Her Campus, I love all kinds of music and am currently learning to play the ukulele! In my free time, I love to play with my dogs as well as watch my favorite shows, New Girl and Glee.
Arden Ericson will graduate Penn State in May of 2023. As one of the Campus Correspondents for Her Campus at PSU, she is a double-major in Public Relations and French Language. After graduation, she will pursue a career that combines her passion for educational equity, social justice and French.