Style > Beauty

TikTok Made Me Buy It: Skincare Edition

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PSU chapter.

“TikTok made me do it.”

This is a phrase I find myself saying over and over again. I love discovering new products to test and potentially add to my never ending collection as I scroll through TikTok.

Maybe you have found yourself saying this too, and if you have seen any of the following products and have wondered if they are worth the purchase or not, the wait is finally over.

Dr. Jarts+ Cicapair Tiger Grass Color Correcting Treatment

Rating: 10/10

This product is a miracle worker since it neutralizes any redness or blemishes you have on your face. You will notice results within a matter of seconds after putting the cream on. This is a product I am glad I purchased as it is now a product I use in my everyday routine. 

This product was so popular that everytime I went to try to find it at Sephora, it was sold out!

Maybelline Sky High Mascara

Rating: 6/10

This mascara is known for its limitless, full volume lashes. It is a washable mascara with bamboo fibers infused into the formula to help create long, extensive lashes. 

My mom and I had trouble locating this mascara because it was so popular over winter break. Finally, after the third stop, we found the mascara to test it out. Personally, this was not one of the best mascaras I had ever used. It was clumpy, which made my eyelashes stick together. I did not find my lashes to look longer, which is ultimately what I want mascara to accomplish.

Isle of Paradise: Own Your Glow Kit

Rating: 7/10

I have never self-tanned before I tried this product. I saw someone on Tik Tok use the Isle of Paradise Face Tanning Drops and Self-Tanning Water and the results were amazing.

The product looked really easy to use, which is what I wanted, and was not very expensive. I purchased the kit which includes the face tanning drops, the self-tanning water, and a tanning applicator mitt. 

The face tanning drops are a great product. You place the drops in your moisturizer and rub the combination onto your face and neck. The tanning water can be a bit tricky.

Like any self-tanning lotion, mouse, or in this case water, you have to be methodical and precise. I thought I had covered all the areas on my body I wanted to be tanned and unfortunately I learned the next morning that I had not. I woke up the next morning and immediately noticed that the tanner had not evenly been applied (or possibly from exfoliation), leaving my skin looking patchy. 

For my first time, this product was a great product to try. This was an impulsive purchase, as I never use self-tanner, which truly shows the power of TikTok!

Go Smile On the Go Teeth Whitening Pen

Rating: 9/10

This pen is perfect for on the go and is so easy to use. I have always used Crest Whitening Strips, but they can be pretty expensive.

For only $19, you can get an efficient, effective and affordable whitening product that you can use whenever. I value products that can simply get the job done, which is why this whitening pen is one of my favorite products I own.

CeraVe Renewing SA Cleanser

Rating: 10/10

Yes, absolutely. Do not hesitate, buy this product.

This cleanser is the best, period. This cleanser has hyaluronic acid which helps with acne and is one of the very few CeraVe cleansers that has this ingredient. It also keeps your skin smooth and does not leave your skin begging for moisturizer after you have cleaned your face. 

This product is always sold out and I completely understand why. If you haven’t tried it, you need to because it is life-changing. 

TikTok can be a blessing and a curse, but I’m so happy that I found some products that help me. Hopefully, some of these products help you as well. Farewell, collegiettes!

McHalea is a freshman at Penn State University majoring in Public Relations and minoring in Marketing. She is eager to learn and get involved, as she is also a member of Happy Valley Communications. She loves comedies and spending time with friends and family.