THON Dancer: Meghan Maffey

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PSU chapter.

Our profile this week is someone special to our HC PSU community – our co-CC, Meghan Maffey. Over the course of the last few months, Meghan has raised over $10,000 to fight childhood cancer and enter to earn a chance to dance in THON 2017. This year, Meghan and her partner Danielle will stand for 46 hours (no sleeping, no sitting) For The Kids. 

HC: Why did you decide to independently dance?

MM: Last year, my best friend (and now partner) Danielle Wegman and I decided to Independently Dance while we we were at THON. In between shifts for Dancer Relations, I walked into the Gammacacia section for not even 10 minutes. Danielle and I looked at each other and immediately decided that next year, the dancers on the floor would be us – we were going to dance.  At that moment, myself and Danielle did everything we could to make sure that we were taking the floor in THON 2017 as dancers. 

HC: What was the hardest part about trying to Independently Dance? 

MM: The hardest part about trying to Independently Dance was thinking of creative ideas to use as alternative fundraisers, and also learn to spread THON’s mission in a way that would really accurately descirbe everything this organization does. A lot of people don’t realize what THON is, and they are hesitant to donate money at first. When you are able to articluate all the amazing things that this organization does, people are so willing to donate a few dollars to help the fight against childhood cancer. 

HC: What was the most rewarding part about trying to Independently Dance? 

MM: The most rewarding part about trying to Independently Dance was knowing that the money that we raised as a couple would make a difference in the lives of the families. Being involved and being on a Dancer Relations Committee for the past 2 years, I have been on the floor with the kids every year. Being able to say that the money that Danielle and I raised  was going to change someone’s life is the most rewarding part.

HC: What are you most looking forward to about THON? 

MM: I am most looking forward to the Human Tunnel. I have been a part of the outside of the human tunnel, clapping and cheering for the dancers as they walked to the BJC, but I am STOKED that I am going to be on the other side of it this year. 

HC: What is your past THON experience? 

MM: My freshman year I stood in the BJC for almost the entire 46 hours with my sorority, Gamma Phi Beta. I was a Dancer Relations Committee Member my sophomore and junior years. This year I am not only dancing, but I am lucky enough to be on the ChevroLOGAN’s Special Events Committee as well. 

HC: What is your favorite THON moment? 

MM: My favorite THON memory was the last few minutes of my very last shift as a Dancer Relations Committee Member during my sophomore year.  My Captain pulled us all to the side (after I cried leaving my dancer) and said “Look up, look around. Take in the BJC right now. Close your eyes, listen to how it sounds, smell the air and really take in this last minute on the floor because you will never have another experience like it”. That moment inspired me to be on Dancer Relations again and to eventually make the journey to independently dance. 

HC: What does For The Kids mean to you?

MM: To me, For The Kids is the sole reason that we THON. Even though trying to be an Independent Dancer is an extremely difficult task – I always came back to the main reason that we THON. So many kids spend so much time in hospital rooms instead of being able to live their lives, and I am was so inspired to try and raise as much money as I could to make sure that one day, no child will ever face a cancer diagnosis. 

We THON in 11! 

Adrea is a senior at Penn State and serves as the Campus Correspondent for Her Campus Penn State. She is majoring in Public Relations and minoring in Business, Women's Studies, and International Studies. She also served as a Chapter Advisor for 8 international chapters during her time studying abroad in Florence, Italy. In addition to Her Campus, Adrea is a senior reporter for Penn State's student newspaper, The Daily Collegian, and a contributing writer for Thought Catalog. She is the social media intern for Penn State's Office of Strategic Communications. In the rare time that she's doing something other than writing, she's probably Googling pictures of pugs or consuming an excessive amount of caffeine. Follow her on Twitter: @adreacope