CPL Sections MAKEUP?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
CPL Sections MAKEUP?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Her Campus Media Design Team
Style > Beauty

This Drag-Owned Beauty Brand is Going Viral on TikTok

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PSU chapter.

“KimChi Chic” is the new, hot makeup company with amazing quality products that have been going viral all over TikTok.

From setting powder to blush and highlighter, everyone is raving about this drag-owned beauty brand.

WHo is KimChi Chic?

First established in 2019, “KimChi Chic” was created by Kim Chi, a drag queen who had appeared on RuPaul’s Drag Race in 2016. She was the first Korean drag queen to go on the show and placed in the top three.

According to The Cut, she was “inspired by her own desire for affordable, quality makeup,” in creating this brand. Kim Chi also donates two percent of all sales to the Trevor Project, an organization dedicated to protecting the mental health of the LGBTQ+ youth.

The brand sells online and in 130 CVS stores across the United States. They offer makeup and skincare products as well as tools such as handheld mirrors and makeup brushes.

The Rise of the BRand

Although they started back in 2019, KimChi Chic’s real popularity started to grow this past year on TikTok.

With the rise of “TikTok Shop” many people started seeing videos of their products and purchasing them through the app (myself included). With all the new attention, they started making enormous sales.

As their products began to sell out, more people were finding the brand and demanding for more.

The Puff Puff Pass Setting Powder

The virality of this brand all began with the release of their setting powder called, “Puff Puff Pass” which caught everyone’s attention. The reason it became so popular was because of the amazing quality of the product to remove any oiliness and make your under eyes incredibly smooth.

Kaylee Khen says that “It gives such like an airbrush effect,” and she will be adding it to her collection for future use.

There’s no doubt that this setting powder is anything but exceptional.

KimChi X Trixie BFF4Evr Blush

In July 2022, KimChi did a collaboration with Drag Queen Trixie Mattel and created a line of 12 different products — an eye shadow palette, four lipsticks, four liquid lipsticks, a highlighting duo, a blush duo and a handheld fan.

The “BFF4EVR Blush Duo” got the most praise because of the pigment value and long-lasting quality. It also has a beautiful pink color.

A user by the name of @courtneyquarantine says “I just love this,” and “I think for 15 dollars for a duo is not bad.”

STAGE PROOF MATTE Setting Spray

The KimChi Chic Setting Spray is another product that has gained popularity. It was released on June 15, 2022 and is made to set your makeup in place.

It prevents creasing, smudging and fading while you go throughout your day and also has a special ingredient — Silky Essence.

User @virgotati says “If y’all are not buying KimChi products, what are you doing?” and supports the use of the setting spray for making your makeup last.

The “Stage Proof Matte Setting Spray” is a stunning product with great quality that cannot be beat.

@virgotati

Kimchi setting sprayyy all day test !!!

♬ original sound – Virgotati

Overall, KimChi Chic Beauty is an amazing brand with high-quality products at an affordable price point. I 100% recommend getting on the bandwagon and buying some cute makeup.

Allison is a first-year student studying Digital and Print Journalism with a minor in Women's Studies. When she isn't writing for Her Campus @ PSU, she's listening to ABBA, hanging out with friends, and watching sitcoms. On the weekends, she likes to go thrifting and try new restaurants downtown.