Penn State Old Main
Penn State Old Main
Original photo by Emma Wesolowski
Life > Experiences

The Remaining Bucket List Items of a Penn State Senior

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PSU chapter.

Graduation is less than two months away and I’ve realized that the mental bucket list I created four years ago still remains unfulfilled. Below are some of the things I will attempt to do in the next seven weeks before leaving Happy Valley with my undergraduate diploma.

Climbing Mount Nittany

I will always choose running on flat terrain over hiking up hills, nonetheless mountains, but every former Penn Stater I’ve talked to has stressed how cool it is to climb Mt. Nittany while still a student.

In full transparency, I didn’t understand until my third semester why Penn State was nicknamed “Happy Valley,” but hiking Mount Nittany seems like a must-do before graduation. 

Returning to East

As a former resident of the unrenovated Packer Hall, I regret to admit that I haven’t been back to East since moving out in the spring of 2020. My friends and I used to go to the buffet on Sundays for brunch and we’ve recently talked about going back to East for Sunday brunch one last time to relive our freshman days.

Bald Eagle State Park

I’m under the impression that the closest body of water near Penn State is the Bald Eagle State Park. I’ve seen plenty of past students go to the state park to swim or hangout.

This one may be the last on my to-do list as I wait for the warmest possible weather.

Mount Nittany Vineyard and Winery

Being 22 in State College, Pennsylvania, means going to one of the few (but fun) bars downtown. While I’m still a Champs girl on Saturdays and Pickles girl on Tuesdays, I’ve been waiting to go to the Mount Nittany Winery that I’ve seen so many other seniors go to.

It will be a great alternative to daylong bar crawls, and pending the weather forecast, could be a great way to enjoy the Penn State spring.

Berkey Creamery

Living blocks away from Coldstone and Yogurt Express in downtown State College has fulfilled my ice cream needs for the last three years. It’s weird to recall that the last time I went to the creamery was when I was living in East.

I know my roommates will definitely join me on this activity, and I’m already ready to order some Death By Chocolate.

Blue and White Game

This year’s Blue and White will my the first and last I will attend as a Penn State student. I wasn’t able to attend during my first two years at PSU due to the COVID-19 pandemic, and last year I was studying abroad in the spring semester.

I’m excited to get one last tailgating day in as a student.

Old Main Sunrise

One of my friends that graduated last year told me that her and her friends set an alarm, made some coffee, and went to Old Main in the dark in the week before graduating.

In what I’m sure was a sentimental experience, I think I will try to convince my friends to experience a sunrise at Old Main. I do think I’ll have an easier time convincing my friends to stay up all night after going out rather than setting an alarm for 6 a.m., but we’ll see if I can check this one off the list.

I hope you learn from my mistake of waiting to accomplish your undergraduate bucket list in the last few weeks of senior year, but don’t let time deter you from making special memories while still a student.

Fourth-year Schreyer student majoring in political science, global and international studies, and minoring in ethics.