The Outfits of the “Outer Banks”

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PSU chapter.

On Thursday, Feb. 23 at midnight (PST), season three of “Outer Banks” was released on Netflix.

With season two leaving off on a HUGE cliffhanger and COVID-19 getting in the way of filming and production, this was a highly anticipated season.

The cast of season three

As usual, season three consists of 10 episodes and follows the characters John B, Kiara, Pope, JJ and Sarah on their journey to find hidden treasure.

In the first season, they were looking for gold. In the second one, they were looking for the Cross of Santo Domingo.

In my opinion, the show is like a teenage version of “The Goonies” with way more violence and drama.

Trailer of season three

Whenever a new season of “Outer Banks” comes out, we tend to embrace the beach and summer lifestyle of the show as our new personalities for a little.

In light of this, here are the best outfit pieces from Sarah and Kie!

One of my favorites was a yellow crop top from BDG Urban Outfitters called the “Dazi Top” from episode eight (top no longer available).

After being through sewers and stranded on an island, it was fun to see the characters, like Kie in more colorful clothes.

One of my favorite outfits from Kie this season is the Urban Outfitters “Out from Under” crop top (sold out in color) and Revolve jean shorts.

One of Kie’s season three outfit

Another favorite of mine is from the episode called “Happy Anniversary” where Kie is shown wearing the Suntify crop top and Amazon’s Love Tree mini skirt.

In the last episode, Kie is wearing the cutest summer dress from Urban Outfitters called the Yellow Swirl Print Mesh Midi Dress.

Honestly, the best thing to come out of Kie’s outfits this season was her hairstyles. Her hair was more blonde this season and had her classic, sporadic braids all around her hair.

One of my favorite hairstyles was from the beginning of “Happy Anniversary” when she is at the restaurant.

One of Kie’s Hairstyles

Of course, there are plenty of other adorable outfits from Kie, but these are some of my favorites.

Now, it’s time to go through Sarah’s closet.

One of Sarah’s Outfits from Season Three

Another outfit from “Happy Anniversary” is Sarah’s yellow Lulus Garden Explorer Floral Print Mini Dress in Mustard Yellow.

Another cute summer top was the Tilly’s Daisy Street Pink Halter Neck Crop Top Sarah wore in the final episode.

As usual, Sarah sported a lot of pastel basics throughout the season such as the Blue Knitted Halter by Cider.

Tweet from Official Outer Banks Account

One thing OBX is known for is clashing patterns. Especially for the girls in the show, there are a lot of patterned bikini tops paired with clashing floral button-ups of some sort.

In one episode, Sarah wore the Sweet Country Plunge Bikini Top in Rodeo Blue by Billabong x Wrangler with the Granny’s Spaghetti Button Up by Head High Surf Club on top along with Ne(x)t Level High-Waisted Denim Short Short by American Eagle.

One of Sarah’s Outfits

Normally, I would never think to pair those two tops together but actress, Madelyn Cline, seems to always pull it off.

Overall consensus?

I’m foreseeing summer 2023 to consist of A LOT of Urban Outfitters basics, American Eagle jean shorts and braids all around.

Hi, my name is Ria! I'm a junior at Penn State University studying Political Science and English.