This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PSU chapter.

In a world of streaming services it can be hard to keep up with all the best shows and movies. It seems like everyone talks about HBO Max’s “Euphoria” and Netflix’s “Bridgerton,” but I think one streaming service is majorly underrated and often left out of the conversation.

Apple TV Plus may not have the same size catalogue as other services, but as of late I’ve found myself watching it most often.

Apple TV relies primarily on original content, which as we’ve seen with other services can be really hit or miss. That being said, I think Apple TV’s original shows and movies are really good and seem to be getting better and better. Here are five of my favorites from Apple TV that have been occupying all of my free time:

• “Ted Lasso”

“Ted Lasso” is probably the most well-known show from Apple TV, and for good reason. This show has incredibly well written characters and an extremely talented cast including Jason Sudeikis who won Best Actor at the 2021 Golden Globes for his role as Ted Lasso.

This show is funny, but also has warmth and depth to it, which makes it an enjoyable watch. It centers around an American football coach who gets a job managing a British soccer team— trust me, as someone who strongly dislikes sports, you do not need to like sports to enjoy this show.

• “Severance”

“Severance” is currently airing weekly on Apple TV and I am obsessed. The show stars “Parks and Recreation’s” Adam Scott as an employee for a company that “severs” its workers.

“Severing” in the show refers to a procedure done that separates a person’s work life from their personal life, so once a severed person leaves work they have no recollection of what they did while there. This show is full of dark twists and unexpected reveals.

To me this series is the TV show equivalent of a book that you just can’t put down.

• “Trying”

The show “Trying” is a bright and heartwarming story of a couple trying (and struggling) to have a baby. I love watching this show because it always leaves me in a happy mood, even when I do shed some tears through an episode. The characters in Trying are all hilarious and the leading couple has you rooting for them practically instantly— they are so adorable and down to earth.

• “CODA”

I was originally going to focus this list on TV shows, but I felt like I couldn’t discuss the best of Apple TV without including this film. “CODA” took home three Oscars this year, including Best Picture and Best Actor in a Supporting Role; “CODA’s” Troy Kotsur made history at this year’s Oscars as the first deaf person to win an Oscar for acting.

The film revolves around Ruby, who is the only hearing member of a deaf family, and her pursuit of a career in music; it is a beautifully moving coming-of-age story. The characters all have so much depth and the film succeeds in portraying a strong family dynamic.

• “The Afterparty”

“The Afterparty” mixes comedy with drama and murder mystery to create an entertaining and compelling story. I think this is a show that’s great for binging, as it is jam packed with lots of fun characters and interesting reveals. Each episode gives a different character’s perspective and the cast does an excellent job of bringing these characters to life.

All the shows/movies on this list are vastly different in terms of genre, plot and tone, but I genuinely think they are all great in their own ways. For only five dollars a month, I think Apple TV is one of the best streaming services out there right now, and would highly recommend giving it a chance if you’re looking for some new and exciting watches.

Grace Martorano is a senior at Penn State studying Astrophysics with a passion for writing. In her free time she loves songwriting, and she plans to pursue a career in science writing after graduation.