The Most Elite Christmas Songs (I Don’t Make the Rules)

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PSU chapter.

As Christmas is approaching, I have been doing my best to make an effort to actually get into the Christmas spirit. One of the best and easiest ways of doing that is to listen to Christmas music! When you’re in the right mood for them, they really soothe the soul and make you feel nostalgic in the best way.

This was incredibly difficult to do, but I tried to narrow it down as best as I could. After listening to these songs for years, I have made a list of what I think are the 10 best Christmas songs out there for your listening pleasure this holiday season.

Happy Xmas (War is Over)

While this song has trended on social media a couple of times in the past year, it’s still a great Christmas song. I really enjoy the background vocals of the choir as well as John Lennon’s singing overall. This song is essential to play during the holidays.

Wonderful Christmastime

This song puts me in such a happy mood. The lyrics, the music… it all around makes me giddy. I think this song represents Christmas spirit and joy around the holidays perfectly.

It is a must have for any Christmas playlist you make.

Rockin’ Around the Christmas Tree

This song is perfect for decorating your Christmas tree solely because of the title. It makes me feel like the main character in my own Hallmark Christmas movie and I fully embrace it because it brings me so much joy. Even if I’m not decorating a Christmas tree, it still puts me in a great mood.

Christmas (Baby Please Come Home)

I honestly just really love the sound of this song. It makes me feel like I’m walking through a big city looking at the snow falling all around me and gets me ready to celebrate Christmas. The main singer, background vocals and instrumentals tie it all together.

Last Christmas

A classic. This song has been out for decades, but it doesn’t fail to spread Christmas spirit. It’s hard to listen to Christmas songs and not be in a good mood.

Even if the song’s lyrics are sad (like this one), there can be upbeat melodies played to disguise that. At one point this song even became a TikTok trend. It is an all-around staple for the holiday season.

All I want for Christmas is you

I couldn’t make a list of elite Christmas songs and not include the infamous “All I Want for Christmas Is You.” This song comes out of hiding every year for people’s enjoyment and it never gets old. Mariah Carey’s whistle notes and the iconic intro is sure to get everyone listening ready for Christmas.

Santa claus is coming to town

This Jackson 5 song is great to pick you up when you’re feeling down. It’s upbeat, catchy and young Michael Jackson eats it up every time. Truly a Christmastime classic.

Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas

I know there are a lot of different versions of this song, but I think I like Judy Garland singing it the most. Her voice has such a timelessness to it and she suits the tune really well.

This song perfectly encapsulates what I like in a Christmas song. It still has the cheer and Christmas spirit, but it’s not too overpowering which makes it good background music.

Sleigh Ride

I feel like I always hear this song either on the radio or in Christmas movies, so a level of nostalgia is definitely factored into this decision. I love how cheerful it is overall and I feel like it emulates the Christmas season wonderfully.

Merry Christmas Darling

Yes, this song can be sad, but Karen Carpenter’s voice takes away from all of it. She truly has one of the most angelic, loveliest voices I’ve ever heard and I can go on and on about her.

This song is so peaceful and I just imagine sitting in front of a fire and reflecting on my life. I could listen to this song on repeat during the holiday season and it will always be in my top 10 Christmas songs.

Another great song of theirs is their rendition of “Sleigh Ride”!

Happy listening!

Shannon is a junior from East Stroudsburg, Pennsylvania majoring in broadcast journalism with a minor in sports studies. She loves La La Land, rom-coms, and the music industry (Taylor Swift). Follow her on Twitter @shantanczos!