This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PSU chapter.

I have been a barista for most of my teenage working years at a local cafe. No matter how many odd encounters I have had as a barista, I love it. Writing names on cups with hearts and flower doodles brings me unexplainable joy. Each drink is a little piece of art inside and out.  

It goes without saying that I have made a lot of drinks–some weirder than others.  Don’t get me wrong, those crazy-complicated drinks can be fun to make. However, when the line is long and stress is high, there is nothing more maddening than having to make one of those. In order to compromise, here is a list of delicious drinks that won’t kill your busy barista.

Lavender mocha

A local waitress always ordered it because it reminded her of trips to Arizona with her long-distance boyfriend. It is definitely a caffeinated bundle of love. Flower-flavored drinks never appealed to me until this one rolled my way. It is critical to keep equal parts mocha to lavender to avoid an overpowering “flowery” taste.  

What to ask for: Iced/hot mocha with equal pumps of lavender syrup

Blueberry Matcha

My boss is a matcha fiend who makes it a mission to try all the syrups in her matcha. None other than blueberry was the winner. Instead of sticking with regular-ole-matcha, ask your barista to swap the regular sweetener out with blueberry syrup. In the unfortunate case that your favorite cafe does not have blueberry, give another fruity syrup a go. 

What to ask for: Iced/hot matcha with blueberry syrup

Cinnamon Caramel Cream Cold Brew

We all know and love a cold brew with caramel and cream. Now introduce to the cult classic: cinnamon. It tastes like sipping Cinnabon through a straw. Cinnamon syrup is ideal, but if not, real cinnamon will work.  

What to ask for: Cold brew with equal parts cinnamon and caramel syrup plus some cream

Hazelnut Oat Milk Latte

It is only right to add it to the list considering that my roommate exclusively drinks hazelnut oat milk lattes. Whether or not you ever hopped on the oat milk wave, it is imperative you try it in this drink.  The creamy and subtly nutty oat milk mixed with hazelnut is simply delicious. Emphasis on “simple,” because yes, this does not sound like much. Trust me, you cannot go wrong.

What to ask for: Iced oat milk latte with hazelnut syrup

Strawberry Chai

Chai is my go-to comfort drink. The spices give me that warm and tingly “Winter” feeling. But, chai still needs a place in my Spring/Summer drink repertoire. That is where this strawberry chai comes into play. The sweet berry-ness of strawberry syrup kicks classic chai into “Summer” mode. 

What to ask for: Iced/hot chai milk latte with strawberry syrup

Minty Vanilla Coffee

Mint-chocolate is one of my all-time favorite combos. To switch it up, I gave vanilla a go and I was not disappointed. The vanilla adds a subtle sweetness that lets mint take the reins. For a lighter and Spring-like drink, give this mint vanilla combo a try. 

What to ask for: Iced/hot coffee with equal parts mint and vanilla syrup

While they may sound a little lackluster, do not let the simplicity fool you — these are some of the best drinks I have ever made and consumed.

XO,

Your friendly Barista

I am a first year student studying political science. My two loves are cooking and being outside. I love my two pets Winnie, a chocolate lab, and Craig, a beta fish. When I am not studying in my room, you will probably find me outside playing tennis, walking, or doing yoga. I am originally from State College, PA. <3