photo of corn field
photo of corn field
Aaron Burden/Unsplash
Style

Thanksgiving Fashion Tips

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PSU chapter.

For what seems like an eternity to get to, Thanksgiving Day is finally just around the corner. Which means we need a killer outfit on deck — even if you never leave your living room that day. Here are some tips for stunting some serious fashion this Turkey Day! 

1. Straight Leg Jeans 

Let’s face it- we’ve all wish we can be like Joey Tribiani and wear his “Thanksgiving Pants” to this year’s festivities. But who said we can’t make comfy, chic? Straight leg jeans are the ultimate saving grace this holiday- they are both loose fitting (so you don’t have to worry about that tight waistband cutting into your tummy) and super stylish. And have we mentioned straight leg jeans call for an epic Instagram #OOTD? SOLD. 

1. All Black Ensemble 

One fashion rule I also seem to abide by is the ever so true “you can never go wrong with black.” Although fall is the time to embrace those warm and rich tones, we ARE eating a lot of food on Thanksgiving. So, we can channel black’s slimming powers and sport an all dark look this holiday. To steer clear from the totally gothic vibe, add a splash of color like a patterned belt or maybe a statement shoe. If you’re not up for the extra accessories, you can always slap a slouchy cardigan over your outfit. The color? Doesn’t matter, since black goes with just about anything. We are thankful for you, black. 

1. Oversized Sweater + Leggings 

If I could wear leggings everyday, I sure would. These powerful pants are as comfy as it gets, but are often too casual for my liking. But, what if I told you that you can rock your favorite pair of cozy leggings this Thanksgiving, while still looking oh so stylish? (and avoid your mother yelling at you for not looking more presentable for your guests). With an oversized sweater, you can trick all those relatives into thinking you put much time and energy into the perfect Thanksgiving day ensemble, when in reality you are straight lounging in some leggings. When shopping for oversized sweaters, it’s important that the length hits below the waist, since you want to hide the fact you’re wearing leggings as much as possible. Leggings can also be worn with over-the-knee boots, which call for an even chicer ensemble. Who said fashion was hard? 

1. Turtlenecks 

Aside from my strong adoration for black, I also hold turtlenecks up to the same high standard. To me, nothing is more chic than a turtleneck- it adds an extra level of sophistication and elegance that is unmatched. Paired with a simple jean or a plaid pant, turtlenecks take the outfit to an even chicer level. If you want to get even fancier, you can pair a blazer over your turtleneck. You’ll definitely be impressing those relatives of yours. 

1. Booties

There’s no reason to inflict pain on ourselves this Thanksgiving, especially when it comes to our footwear. Ditch those painful heels and rock some chic booties this holiday. Booties are every fashionistas style secret — they look stylish, sophisticated and put together, while still being ultra-comfy. Here’s a hint: the chunkier the heel the easier to walk in. I hope you’re all strutting into that dining room on Thanksgiving day rocking some stylish booties. 

Thanksgiving is a day spent with family, friends and food. Although there might be some pressure to look your best for others, there is no need not to be comfortable doing so. With these tips, I hope you find some Thanksgiving fashion ideas, and are ready to bring on the Turkey while looking super chic.

Hi! My name is Brooke and I am a junior at Penn State! I am currently studying Advertising and Public Relations with minors in French and History. I have an incredible love for fashion and I hope to one day fulfill my dream of working in the fashion industry.
Bailey McBride is a Senior at Penn State University pursuing a Broadcast Journalism degree with minors in Political Science and Digital Media Trends & Analytics. She is a sister of Delta Gamma. She enjoys making hyper-organizational lists and looking at future pups to adopt. Her dream job is to be Press Secretary of the White House.