Tattoos of Penn State

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PSU chapter.

We all have our own views on tattoos, but do you ever see any and wonder about their stories? I do, so I asked a few Penn Staters about the roots of theirs. Enjoy some snapshots from eleven Penn State students and alum, who were kind enough to share the stories behind their tattoos with me:

Ellie Thurston, Senior

“My tattoo is the outline of the lake I’ve lived at my entire life. I got this my sophomore year of college when I had the realization that I’ll no longer be spending the majority of time at my favorite place in the world. This place also inspired me to pursue a career in conservation. I wanted to get it on my forearm so that every time I looked down I was reminded of the place that has shaped me into who I am today.”

Kenzie Brown, Junior   

“Basically my whole family was raised listening to The Beatles so it’s always been my favorite band. My sister got pregnant and had some hard times after that, so I got this tattoo for her because it’s one of her favorite Beatles songs and also I wanted her to remember that she’s apart of everything around her, and even though she was going through rough times the sun would still come up the next day; the world around her is beautiful and so is she.”

Lori Gilger, Senior

“I got this compass and flowers when I came to Penn State and declared my major as environmental resource management. For me it represents my love for the outdoors and always being connected to nature.”

Jayla Andrulonis, Recent Graduate

“It’s an excerpt from Mary Wollstonecraft’s A Vindication of the Rights of Woman and was the first feminist text I was exposed to. To me it means that as women, we’re socially conditioned to think we need to look a certain way but really it’s all just bullsh*t. To me, this tattoo is a reminder that I don’t have to exist inside my head all the time and it helps me to check myself in times where I’m not being kind to my body in thought or action.”

Kara Peterson, Recent Graduate

“The whole point is that there isn’t a story behind it!”

Rachel Scholton (Me), Junior

“I got it because I love the progression and it reminds me of the quote, ‘Grow through what you go through.’ It’s a symbol of growth for me.”

Alisha Cannizzaro, Senior

“I got this tattoo because it was a point in my life where I was at a crossroads and I was unsure of what to do next and was full of doubt, but had to remind myself that it’s all in God’s hands. It means there is hope; should oceans rise and mountains fall, he will never fail.”

Haley Eash, Senior

“My bow tattoo represents many important parts of my life. My mother has a bow tattooed on her wrist so in a way it can be considered a reminder of her that I always carry with me. I also was a cheerleader for eight years. The bow, to me, is a representation of life.”

Marcus Allen, Senior

“This tattoo is my grandmother’s name: Thelma Allen.  She was dearest to my heart and meant the world to me, so when she passed away last year it hurt me so bad and I couldn’t believe it. So to represent her and have her with me all the time, I got her name tattooed on my hands.”

Kyle David, Junior

“It’s a delta and it stands for change but in reality nothing changes so it’s irrelevant.”

Steve Howard, Senior

“It’s a Vince Lombardi quote about the importance of never quitting and finishing the things you start.”

What will your next tattoo be? 

Lover of Halloween and all things makeup. Majoring in Journalism with a minor in Digital Media Trends.
Allie Maniglia served as the Campus Correspondent for Her Campus at Penn State from 2017-2018. She majored in public relations with minors in international studies and communication arts and sciences. If she's not busy writing away, you can find her planning her next adventure (probably back to the U.K.), feeding an unhealthy addiction to HGTV or watching dog videos on YouTube.